Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM
jtridgerunner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Boost

Got a 98.5 2500 with the 24v. Fass Fuel System, straight pipe, bullydog high flow air filter. Boost gauge is hooked into the intake manifold. I am getting to 20-22 psi and then it feels like it is defueling. Can hold the throttle at half or full thorttle once i hit this 20psi and will not gain any. Going up hills while towing it just quits at 20psi and i start losing speed. New fuel filters, cleaned air filter, checked intercooler connections(thinking one made be lose or cracked and blowing out boost), no CEL.

I am wondering if this what other guys are getting with a samilar setup and if there is anyway to stop the truck from limiting the boost to this. How does a boost fooler work, solve my problem?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:02 PM
gumwars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20-22 psi is above the nominal boost output for a stock 98.5 24v. 18 is supposed to be the max. You're getting an overboost warning that opens the wastegate prematurely. BD sells a boost fooler for about $70 that will trick the ECM to keep the pressure on a bit longer. I'd be careful though, you do have basically a stock set up and running higher boost than what that holset turbo was designed for could shorten its life.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try the boost fooler, and stay under 35psi on the stock turbo and you should be fine

Quick Reply: Boost