Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Driveshaft U-joints

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:17 PM
cchavez06
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft U-joints

I have been having a clunking noise coming from the driveshaft when I slow down to 15 of so mph. I have lubed both the front and rear driveshaft and it still continues to happen so I think I have a bad u-joint. I've looked around and can't find a greasable aftermarket u-joint for it. Can someone point me in the right direction for some good quality u-joints that are somewhat reasonably priced?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 PM
racer9
Veteran

Stay away from the chain stores, they usually only have the cheap non-greasable stuff. Find a good driveline shop. I get my stuff at a place that specializes in heavy truck drivelines.
NAPA might have them.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:21 PM
pizzo
All Star

center drive shaft support do you have that or is it a short bed???
Also O'reillys has grease able u joints they are 25 each I have three on the rear shaft and haul heavy no problems out of them...

Old 12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
cchavez06
Rookie

Ya it's a long bed. I was just looking for some here on the internet and got to thinking about the carrier bearing. I haven't looked at it a whole lot and was curious if there was a way to grease it also?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:51 PM
pizzo
All Star

No way to grease that but if there is a lot of play in it. It will cause the driveline to vibrate. They are dealer Items Only... I tried everywhere to see if anyone else sold them with no luck...All you have to do is check them if the rubber is still their and not a lot of play then not going to be the problem..
Have you changed the Rear u joint on the rear shaft also??? that is what was wrong with my truck..but I have also heard that the rear yoke has had problems you can check and see if its still tight...

Old 12-22-2009, 10:45 AM
cchavez06
Rookie

No I have only had the truck for about eight month's so I haven't changed much on it other then a some trans parts. When I greased the driveshafts I couldn't find the needle fitting on the front where the cardan joint is. I think the needle fitting is just covered over with some rust and junk so I'll get that done to rule that out. I think that might be where my clunking noise is coming from.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft U-joints