Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Strange vibration in front right...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 03:01 PM
joshkeely
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange vibration in front right...

Hey all! I just stumbled across this forum when searching for a solution to my problem...what a great place!!!

So here is my problem: I have recently noticed a vibration in my front right at practically all speeds. The vibration isnt too bad, but it is quite loud, as if I am driving over the rumble strips they put on the sides of the freeway. My initial thought was wheel bearing, so I jacked up the truck and tried to wiggle the tire up and down, but it is TIGHT....no slop at all. My tires were bald, so I decided this would be a good time to get a new set, thinking it was maybe a warped tire or out of balance...not the case. Even after new tires, and balance & front end alignment, it still is there......anyone have any idea what else it could be?

Thanks!!!

Josh
2003 Dodge RAM 3500 Diesel 2WD

Old 12-27-2009, 03:06 PM
RHill

Check your ball joints/ Shocks/ tierod ends. My guess is shocks or balljoints, these trucks are horrable on them. Mine only went 45k

Old 12-27-2009, 06:09 PM
joshkeely

Okay, so more data:
I noticed that, at ANY speed (5MPH or 55MPH), when I am going straight or left, it has this sound, however, when I turn just slightly to the right, and any place after this point, the sound goes away. Now I am thinking maybe power steering pump or something???

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Josh

Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 PM
joshkeely
Default Resolved!

Okay, so the Dodge dealer, a tire shop, and I all looked and ruled out a wheel bearing...apparently the old jack-it-up-and-wiggle-the-wheel method failed me! I couldn't see it being anything other than the wheel bearing, so I bit the bullet and bought a new hub and bearing set ($350!!!!!), and no more problems!!!

Thanks for your help!

Josh

Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 PM
RHill

I should have elaberated more.....

You have to do it on a tuesday with the wind @ 5mph from 52* northwest on a full moon to get a correct Knee to tire reading. Or have done it on all trucks and sizes for 20 years

Old 12-29-2009, 12:18 AM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by joshkeely
Okay, so the Dodge dealer, a tire shop, and I all looked and ruled out a wheel bearing...apparently the old jack-it-up-and-wiggle-the-wheel method failed me! I couldn't see it being anything other than the wheel bearing, so I bit the bullet and bought a new hub and bearing set ($350!!!!!), and no more problems!!!

Thanks for your help!

Josh
Where did you get that wheel bearing at????

Quick Reply: Strange vibration in front right...