Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need Advice - Another Tranny noise question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 05:30 AM
surfhunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice - Another Tranny noise question

Was hoping to get some advice from you fine people.

I'm thinking about buying a 1999 Dodge 2500 with the 24V Cummins and the automatic transmission.

It all seems fine but when I shift from reverse to park (when fully braked) it makes a grinding type noise, almost like a spine or something is not stopping the load on a shaft (if that makes any sense). The noise is like a popping sound, it pops a few times. Its really loud if Im in 4hi or 4lo and I put it into park from reverse. Now if I quickly shift it from neutral to park there is no noise what so ever, in all 2hi, 4lo and 4hi.

There is no issue with it shifting while driving, the OD works fine, its just when I come to a stop and attempt to put it in park, while normally shifting through, D, N, R then park, it makes that noise. Again, if I go from N to P really fast, no noise, weird.

Indication of a rebuild ?? I'm stumped and concerned, should I move on to the next one or is this normal and I shouldnt worry about it and I should just buy the dam thing already, haha.

Thanks again in advance and I look forward to your input.

Lee

Old 01-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Sounds like possibly the bands are out of adjustment and not fully releasing and the popping you are hearing is the parking pawl trying to engage on a spinning drivetrain.

Might be something as simple as a band adjustment, but without seeing it, it's just a guess.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 PM
surfhunter

Thanks for the reply, I'll do some more research into the band adjusting. To be a little more descriptive on that noise, it sort of sounds like bubble wrap when you pop it, the small kind of bubble wrap and it only sounds like that when you slowly try to put it in P. It gets really loud when in 4lo/4hi.

The truck is a 99 with only 103,000 miles on her. Shes running the 4:10 gears with 33" pro comp at. Not sure if that makes a difference on the stress of the tranny or not.

Anyways - appreciate the reply and I look forward to more thoughts, brainstorming on the net is a blessing !!!

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Another Tranny noise question