Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Mystery vibration..

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Dieseljunkie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery vibration..

I have a mystery vibration in my truck.. Specs are in my signature. My truck vibrates, almost like a bad u joint, but only when coming to a stop, and pushing the brakes. It seems to be worse when its raining, or the roads are wet. Now, the tires on the truck are pretty low on tread, but not wearing funny in any way. I did just put front brakes on the truck, and I noticed the vibration when I got the truck back from the shop that did the brakes. I took the truck back to them when I noticed the vibration, and they checked EVERYTHING possible and nothing was out of the ordinary, and all the u joints looked good. Any ideas on what it could possibly be? The truck drives great other than that.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 AM
pizzo
All Star

You have about covered everything but wheel bearings and Alignment. I'm not much help here.. Check the lug nuts too if they just impacted them on then maybe they are not tight enough. Even though that would give you a vibration at all speeds..

Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 AM
chris1970

"but only when coming to a stop, and pushing the brakes. It seems to be worse when its raining, or the roads are wet."

it sure does seem suspicious right after the brake job? I find when it's slick, the abs is more noticeable, (more so on ice), but that is probably amplifying your vibration. "coming to a stop, and pushing the brakes"

my wifes dakota has a shudder i mostly notice through the pedal when her rotors are done. just a thought.

Last edited by chris1970; 01-27-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 PM
jmn1960
Professional
Wink warped rotors

new brakes on old rotors(drums(??
sounds like they either did not turn the rotors(drums) that will happen every time new brakes on old rotors(drums) will do that every time

Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Dieseljunkie
Amateur

Originally Posted by jmn1960
new brakes on old rotors(drums(??
sounds like they either did not turn the rotors(drums) that will happen every time new brakes on old rotors(drums) will do that every time
Nope, brand new front rotors and front pads. They did nothing to the rear's since I still had 60% of brake life left on those.
Scott

Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 AM
pizzo
All Star

I would go back and complain because its weird that it not their before the brakes was done. its their after wards. Make them replace it all again its under warranty or find something they have messed up... either they did not take the caliper apart and grease the pins and a caliper is hung up or they didnt put something back together correctly.
if they give you any grief about it. then bring safety into the mix its not safe to drive... and if i wreck my truck and someone gets hurt I'm sueing the **** OUT OF YOU. I bet they fix it right now....

Old 01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Dieseljunkie
Amateur

You can bet it's going back to them. They TOLD me to bring it back if the vibration got "worse". It didn't get worse, persay, but it didn't go away either, and I refuse to drive a truck with a vibration. They will fix it right, or they will lose my business, and I spend quite a bit of money with them. I have 4 vehicles, and they ALL get serviced there, so if they don't want to lose potential $$ for the future, they'll fix it.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
vmk69

Does it vibrate when you take your foot off the gas pedal and don't apply the brakes?

Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Dieseljunkie
Amateur

yes, on occasion, but I don't notice it all the time. They could not find anything, and the only thing they could think of was that the front tires had some slight cupping. I did have them rotate the rear tires to the front while they did the front brakes, so maybe the rear tires (that are now on the front) were cupped, and that is what was causing the vibration? I didn't have them rotate the tires back, only because I am trying to squeak by on these tires for another month or so..
Scott

Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 PM
MOPARPAT
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dieseljunkie
yes, on occasion, but I don't notice it all the time. They could not find anything, and the only thing they could think of was that the front tires had some slight cupping. I did have them rotate the rear tires to the front while they did the front brakes, so maybe the rear tires (that are now on the front) were cupped, and that is what was causing the vibration? I didn't have them rotate the tires back, only because I am trying to squeak by on these tires for another month or so..
Scott
I did have them rotate the rear tires to the front while they did the front brakes,

I bet that's the problem, tires going bad can makes the strangest noises and movements

Quick Reply: Mystery vibration..