Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Governor Solenoid/ Valve Body recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 PM
dionisios
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governor Solenoid/ Valve Body recommendation

I have an issue with my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 with 48RE transmission and 72000 miles. The truck starts just fine but the shift from 1st to 2nd either stalls, causing the RPMs to rev high until I let off the pedal, and eventually shifts to 2nd or sometimes shifts between 1st and 2nd repeatedly before settling in 2nd. These shifting issues are random, sometimes it does it and sometimes not. This started about 1000 miles ago shortly after changing the fluid and adding the double deep transmission pan.

Based on some of the posts I read I was sure it was the governor solenoid. I contacted Suncoast and they said they think it is my Valve Body and not the solenoid. They recommended a new DC487 Valve Body which includes the GM style governor solenoid. They also said that I can try the solenoid and if it does not work they will deduct the price of the solenoid from the Valve Body

I am debating whether to get the Valve body or just solenoid. I figure I’m already dropping the pan, might as well do all I can before closing it up again and hopefully not do anything for awhile.

Has anyone had any experiences with the Suncoast DC487 Valve Body?

Even if the solenoid fixes my shifting issue what will I see difference with the DC487 Valve Body over the stock one?

Is a new valve body with the GM style solenoid worth the almost $700 cost?

One last question, the manual recommends adjusting the bands at 100,000 mi. Any issue with adjusting them when I drop the pan to either install the solenoid or VB?

Thanks in advance,
D

Old 01-27-2010, 09:50 PM
pizzo
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if the solenoid fixes my shifting issue what will I see difference with the DC487 Valve Body over the stock one?
Our stock VB does not pump fluid in park. after market one should be made to pump fluid in park. Make sure of that when ordering....

Is a new valve body with the GM style solenoid worth the almost $700 cost?
yes it is, the Dodge Solenoid don't handle the pressure all that well and could fail again. Most of the guys that race, pull sleds, or just drive upgrade to the GM solenoid

One last question, the manual recommends adjusting the bands at 100,000 mi. Any issue with adjusting them when I drop the pan to either install the solenoid or VB?
No Adjust all of them now when you have the VB out. I adjust mine every 30,000 miles.. When I flush and filter change...

I haul heavy boats with my truck up to 19,000 LBS. I use Valvoline ATF+4 synthetic trans oil. 30,ooo miles on my truck Oil is still looking new... Alot of people will tell you to use Amsoil At 8.99 a qt that is up to you if you flush it out your going to need 18+ qts... I'll stick with my 4.99 a qt Valvoline synthetic ATF+4.
Also make sure that what ever oil you get its ATF+4.. don't use Dextron/Mercron use only ATF+4

Quick Reply: Governor Solenoid/ Valve Body recommendation