Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Too much rear brakes, how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:55 PM
mxerchris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much rear brakes, how to fix?

after replacing the rotors, drums, pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, brake hardware (springs) rear flexible line, master cylinder I still have a problem with to much rear braking. The only thing left that I can think of is the propotioning valve, has anyone had this same problem? Or any ideas on what to do next? The truck is a 99 3500 2wd. Thanks....

Old 01-30-2010, 08:28 PM
pizzo
All Star

so you have rear Shoe brakes. Well first off did you install them correctly? If you look at the shoes one pad is bigger then the other one... The bigger pad goes to the rear. smaller one in front. then adjusting them you turn them tight all the way till you can't turn the adjuster any more and back it off three Clicks... Turn the wheels.... Rear tire should move freely but You want a little bit of drag on the brake shoes..

Old 01-30-2010, 11:19 PM
warmachine1987

does your truck use rear disc or drum brakes? disc brakes use calipers, while drums use wheel cylinders, i dont see how you coiuld have replaced them both. Are your rear park shoes (assuming rear disc) good? Ive seen it before when the rear linings on the park shoes become detached from the backing and cause the rear brakes apply/drag. maybe a dumb question but are there any codes active or stored? Possible speed sensor or cab issued

Old 01-31-2010, 08:46 AM
mxerchris

it has drums on the rear, I replaced the brakes all the way around the truck. I have checked that the shoes are on correct. Had an abs light on that created problems but sent the module out and had it rebuilt. Just at my wits end with it was pulling my 39' Raptor 5'ver to the beach had to get hard on the brakes the thing started bucking thought I was going to lose the rig......

Quick Reply: Too much rear brakes, how to fix?