Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

P0121 CEL need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
kylluxion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0121 CEL need help

Hello everyone I have a 2002 Dodge Ram2500 diesel w/ 6spd manual trans. I was driving it yesterday and the CEL came on so I scanned it for codes and only came up with one code P0121.

is this the part I need to replace? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2207&ppt=C0033

Could it be anything else what about cleaning it or maybe something else? Thats a lot of money if it doesn't fix it.

Thanks for any help

Old 01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
pizzo
All Star

P0121 Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Range/Performance Problem
their is your full code... any others? What is it doing?
If your going to replace that One I would shop around. In fact there is a Vendor here on DF Name is Coaltrain. He might be able to get a better deal. Plus the only place you will be able to buy that is on the internet at O'reillys
That is a special order Item. The store will have to send a Email to home office then get the price back 411. could be a old price from year 2002 or so... and could be more.. I am a installer for O'reilly's When i need something that is special order It takes them for ever and a day to get me the price on it.
example I wanted Autometer gauges for my truck . I am still waiting for the price 2 months now still no reply. I bought them online... Yet I pass 3 Autozones and 2 bumper to bumper auto parts stores and drive to O'reilly's.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Coal Train
All Star

More than likely, that's gonna be your problem.

Before you buy the part, you wanna check the current one.

All you need is a voltmeter, there are 3 wires on the APPS.

5V power, signal and ground. All the APPS is, is an expensive potentiometer.

Turn the key to run, but do not start the truck. Connect the balck lead to ground and the red lead to signal.

Slowly push the pedal to the floor. You should see the voltage smoothly progress from approx 1.2 - 1.4 volts up to 5 volts at full throttle.

If there is anywhere in there that it sticks, skips or jumps around, the APPS is going bad.

The condition does not get better. Eventually you'll get a dead pedal.

PM me your VIN number and mileage and I can look up your truck and get you the correct part.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:26 PM
ruquick77

Thanks for the reply's guys, I haven't had a chance to test the APPS yet but will. I get dead pedal for a sec or two while driving.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Coal Train
All Star

If you find it's bad after you test it, let me know and we'll get ya taken care of.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:19 PM
dennhop

Timbo's APPS, Dodgecumminsapps.com, think that's the website, sells better APPS than the dealer, at less than half the cost...

Old 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM
kylluxion

Originally Posted by dennhop
Timbo's APPS, Dodgecumminsapps.com, think that's the website, sells better APPS than the dealer, at less than half the cost...

Yeah I bought it from him and it fixed the problem.

Thanks

Quick Reply: P0121 CEL need help