Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

A/C Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 AM
boostndiezel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Question

May seem like a Stupid question.... However, I am trying to check the pressures in my A/C unit of my 06 5.9L Cummins and I can only find the "high" end located up front by the Radiator. I searched everywhere for the "Low" end but cant find it. Can anyone help? pics? Thanks

Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check back by the firewall near the reciver/dryer

Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 PM
boostndiezel

I tried.. I took out the airintake box/ plumbing, the battery.... followed the lines.... and NOTHING!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:08 PM
boostndiezel

alright..... found it (it is actually on the dryer itself. hard to get to.) Now, how could it be reading 80psi? the clutch is not engaging and the blower is blowing warm air.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

80 is close to what it should be w/out the pump turning, sounds like a bad pressure switch or thermostat switch, if your clutch isnt engauging at all, also check the wire from the clutch up to the harness they have been known to rub through on the a/c lines

Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I had a similar situation with my truck this summer. If you have 80psi on the low side with the compressor off, you have not lost refrigerant. Mine was the coil for the compressor clutch that had gone bad. Get under the truck and find the plug for the compressor at the back of the compressor. Unplug it and check the compressor side for continuity. I bet you'll find it is open. Now when this happened to me I asked about getting a new coil for it and was told that the coil was not available, only the whole compressor. I found the company that manufactured the compressor and asked them why they did not supply repair parts. They said the Chrysler did not want repair parts, but that they had a change of heart and repair parts would be available sometime in the future. He was not definite on a time frame though. Of coarse it wasn't in time for me and I had to buy a whole new compressor. If that is the route you will take I can hook you up with a dealer guy that will give you a fair price.

Quick Reply: A/C Question