Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Possible turbo trouble around the corner

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010 | 05:29 PM
leahyhfarms
|
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible turbo trouble around the corner

I was looking at the turbo today and I was checking it for ware it will move about 3/32 inch up and down(it is almost rubbing the casing to do this). There is almost no movement in it end to end. It is still building good boost becuuse if I am working the motor hard and let off you can hear the waste gate opening. The truck is a 2001 3500 with stock motor. It got a new motor in 2003 but the old turbo and manifold were used. Either way there is only 195K on it. How long will it last before it blows and where is a good place to get a new or good used turbo. PLease keep in mind that I am in Ireland so I can,t go to my local junk yard or that not many sites will ship to here.

Old 02-10-2010 | 06:27 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

side to side play is completely normal as long as it doesnot contact the housings, end play is not good but i bet you really dont have any, the noise you here when letting off on a hard pull is the turbo despooling, it is kind of a neat noise but rather hard on the turbo its self, you will never really here the wastegate opening, only see it opening on a boost gauge, and when it is limiting to pressure.

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 02-10-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Possible turbo trouble around the corner