Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

measured vs, rated CCA on batteries

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010 | 07:04 PM
EricInMN
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default measured vs, rated CCA on batteries

I did a search for this but my question is a bit more specific than I can find. My 03 dodge cummins has failed to start twice in the last few weeks after sitting outside for 8 hours or so in 0 and below weather. I plug it in at home and haven't had a problem there. I had the batteries tested and the computer printer indicates a rating of 750 CCA each and a measured CCA of 636 and 651. The printout says "good battery" but I wonder if it's good enough. Any thoughts on whether or not I should replace these? Thanks for any input.

Old 02-10-2010 | 07:46 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check to make sure your connections are good at the batteries, if thats the case, replace the batteries, even though they might show good on a test right after a charge, doesnt mean they can hold a charge for a period of time, and the colder the weather is, the battereis will put out less power

Old 02-10-2010 | 10:13 PM
EricInMN
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cleaned things up a bit after the last failure to start. Do you think I have enough amps on hand to start the beast?

Old 02-11-2010 | 01:12 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you think I have enough amps on hand to start the beast?
the only real way to tell would be to give the batts a good charge, then let them set about 8+ hours (seperatly) then test them, even better to test when cold to get a more accurate reading, you may have just one batt failing which will drag the other one down, but i would say if it happens again, i would replace them both

Quick Reply: measured vs, rated CCA on batteries