Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

differental noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010 | 11:58 PM
mike p
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differental noise

i had the u joints replaced in the front end differental on my 03 3500 and i went to use the 4wheel drive the other day and it made a bad noise around the transmission do any of you have any ideas about what it could be

Old 02-13-2010 | 09:37 AM
Coal Train
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Can you be a little more specific.

Which u-joints were changed? The one on the front driveshaft, closest to the diff or the two outer joints on the axle shafts.

As for the noise, changing u-joints won't cause the noise you heard. More than likely the t-case linkage is out of adjustment.

I have a customers truck here at the shop that we had to send up to the dealer to get a new t-case for very much the same reason you're describing.

The t-case linkage was out of adjustment for so long that the gears weren't fully meshed and it destroyed the high range gear in the t-case.

When he put it in 4WD, it would grind and as soon as load was put on the front end the t-case would start popping as the gears jumped teeth.

Quick Reply: differental noise