Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Turbo Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:49 PM
boostndiezel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Help!

I have a 2006 5.9L that has 96K miles on it. I was towing about 12K lbs getting onto I95 from the on ramp and began to "stomp" on the gas to get going with the traffic. At this time, I heard a loud pop then an air-ee sound. Lost all power and unhooked my trailor and "putted" home. I could only get to 50mph.

Anyhow, heres where Im going with this. I took the truck into the dealer today. They called me back at the end of the day and said they are not going to cover it under warranty because the "nut" on the shaft that hoods the impellar on was missing. Therefore, it must have been tampered with; I guess only I know it wasnt. I asked if the nut was inside the actual housing and they replied, we dont know, we dont start pulling things off until the warranty goes through. Therefore, they are declining warranty work based on a nut missing... but they dont know if it is inside the housing or was shot up into the innercooler plumbing. Furthermore, I found out that from Cummins that Dodge did not want any customers to have relations with Cummins... and I was told that when I bought the truck that Cummins Warranties the engine for 100K miles. Well, that is wrong too. Dodge, buys these engines through Cummins with No warranties and only dodge covers the engines.

What Im asking as Im venting is...... is it possible for this "Nut" to somehow back off this shaft and get into the impellar to chew it up? or, maybe it backed off once the damage was done while "putting" back home... while one side was jammed and the other spinning to spin the nut off? I would greatly appreciate any help and apologize for my ignorance!
Thanks!

Old 02-17-2010, 07:08 PM
boostndiezel

One more thing.... If I cant get them to warranty this stock turbo.... anybody know of a aftermarket that is reliable and will bolt right up to the stock exhaust manifold? And how much should I be looking at?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
racer9
Veteran

Look at the plate on the turbo and see what it says. I don't remember which turbo is on the '06's It might be a HE351CW They come up on e-bay fairly regular, or check the classifieds on some other diesel sites. Any new replacement is going to be $1k or more, you might get a reman from Cummins for less. Just make sure you find that nut, and any other pieces.
I know Dodge doesn't want to cover it, they don't want to cover anything, but it is still in the warranty period. You will have to keep after them, or try other dealers. Check this thread https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...ty-engine.html

Old 02-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Brother!....You need to stay on them sorry bastards.

That is is fully under warranty and, YES, Cummins does warranty the engine, but it is through Dodge.

When the vehicle goes over 36K miles, Dodge's engine warranty ends and Cummins warranty picks up until 100K. Now, as part of the agreement, Cummins will not directly warrant any 5.9 in a Dodge, it must go through Dodge.

You need to contact the dealers GM, Owner, Regional Rep and, if needed, Chrysler Corporate.

I guarantee, that nut is sitting right at the bottom of your intercooler right now. Pulling the intercooler is easy. When you tip it up on it's side, I bet that nut falls right out.

If worse comes to worse and you need a stock replacement turbo, I have one here at the shop off of an '06 that had 56K miles on it.

If you want to go aftermarket, let me know and we can get you taken care of there too.

Quick Reply: Turbo Help!