Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need help! Bad Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
dvcap2004
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Bad Vibration

I need help diagnosing a very bad vibration in my truck. I have a 2005 ram 2500 quad cab common rail cummins. Has 120,000 miles on it. It vibrates from about 35 to 70. After that it smooths out. It gets really bad around 55 and 65. Its so bad it vibrates stuff off my center console and out of the cubby below the air condition controls and makes my boost gauge bounce. The tires have about 10,000 miles on them and have been rotated three times and balanced three times and they show no signs of cupping so i dont think its them. What else could it be???? Driveshaft? Transmission?

Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM
sit22 II
Rookie

where did u get your tires balanced ?
it really sound like they are not balanced right cinse they are big and heavy tires people dont do them right.
are you able to watch them do it ?
maybe water in them? fix flat in them ?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:44 AM
dvcap2004
Professional

i only have 285/70/17's so they arnt too heavy. i balanced the tires myself the first time. second and third time i had a buddy do it while i watched. theres no fix-a-flat in them and theres no water in them. thats why i cant figure out whats going on. its had me stumped for the past two weeks. lol

Old 02-22-2010, 05:58 PM
jason_blocker
Amateur

I have the same issue with my 2006 2500 4x4, it has new 35-12.5-17 Mickey Thompson ATZ's on it and i have a vibration that I wanted to blame on the tires but its not them, we own a tire shop and ive rebalanced them twice, and recently put balance beads in them. I'm thinking the universal joints but don't hear any clunking in them. Oh my truck only has 56k miles on it and around 10k on the tires

Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 AM
pizzo
All Star

I am going to blame a u joint and/or the center carrier bearing if you have one. Check that those are good for going out and causing a bad vibration... depending on year I know my truck 2004.5 3500 dealer Item only... runs around 250 ish or so. I get a deal on my dealer parts so I cant say for your price if that is it... Also check your front wheel bearings those will cause the steering wheel to shake and hear a grinding noise with a ABS light on (not all the time though).... Also you have u joints in the front axle for the axle shafts those you get a squeaking noise when turning.. Also look into death wobble in the Search on the tool bar line for DF its a little to the rt of user CP button. That is bad You maybe starting to get that at its early stage before it really gets bad and wobbles.
Hope that helps Let us know what you find
Pizzo

Quick Reply: Need help! Bad Vibration