Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

07 5.9 leaking fuel in the fuel filter area.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
kar6man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 5.9 leaking fuel in the fuel filter area.

Hey everyone. I've got an 07 2500 5.9. Just yesterday i smelt diesel fuel and found that it was leaking in the fuel filter area. The front side of the fuel filter seemed to be the dirtiest but I'm unable to tell where exactly the leak is coming from. I checked the filter cap and it is tight and the o ring still looks normal. I Don't see anything spraying out when it is running. Is there anything i can do to find this leak easier? It drips about 2 to 3 tbsp. of diesel once I park it. It seems to do it more on a cold start than after it has been driven several times through the day.

thanks for any help.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 PM
pizzo
All Star

Clean the Filter housing off with Brake Clean (non flame able kind) and don't start but bump the key so the Lift pump will run for 20 seconds or so and see where its leaking from.
You should have 2 lines running to that filter housing maybe 3 the return from the injector rail...
Also the Drain on them sometimes gets stuck and don't shut off all the way.. Its the Yellow lever move that around a few times see if its stuck or not all the way off position..

Old 02-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Coal Train
All Star

If it's near the front, the likely suspect is the heater element gasket.

While not a common complaint, when it does happen, it's the usual cause.

The other spot would be the supply line banjo bolt going to the CP3.

Quick Reply: 07 5.9 leaking fuel in the fuel filter area.