Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bad pump or electrical issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:01 AM
rdunkin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad pump or electrical issue?

This is my first post and hope someone here might be able to help. Thanks in advance for any advice. Dodge Ram 2500 A/T 2006 Diesel

Changed battery and right after noticed that the lift pump in the tank was running non stop. In addition the injector pump is ticking constantly. The lift pump is pumpimg all the way to the injector pump but truck will not start. I tried blleding at the head but did not get much pressure, Fuel bled but no real pressure. Here is the other part. All of my inst. panel warning lights are lit. ABS, Brakes, Check GAuges and the engine light blinks in rythm with the sound of the lift pump. I dont know if the problem is electrical or a bad injector pump. Any way if you need more info I can provide, And again thanks for any help. Richard

Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 AM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Were these problems happening before you changed the battery? Did you replace both batteries at the same time? It sounds to me like you have a bad battery(ies).

Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 AM
racer9
Veteran

Both batteries should be changed together.
There is a procedure for changing batteries on these newer electronc vehicles. Do you know it, and did you follow it? Check with the dealership for the procedure. You might just have to disconnect the batteries and start over.
You do not have an injection pump. You have a common rail injection system, in which the injectors are triggered electronically. You have the intank lift pump. and a CP3 pressure pump, which is run by the motor.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 AM
rdunkin

I have been having a battery issue for about a week. I was just trying to get it started and planned on changing batteries this weekend. They would be very low in the mornings and I had to jump them several times. Right now the truck has plenty of bat. power. It spins over fine, Regarding pumps. The intank pump keeps thumping constantly in time with the clicking noise on the pump on front of motor. All of this started when I changed the one battery on drivers side, I have tried disconnecting both batteries and it still does same thing. The gauge lights remain on and the funny thing is the check engine light is flashing to the same beat of the clicking. If that makes sense. I will check to see if there is a procedure to hook up batteries but I have disconnected one batt. before and not had this happen. The truck was running fine until I went to start it yesterday. Oh I do see a p2809 code.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
rdunkin

changed the batteries and still same problem. Its either a fried PCM or the rail injection system. Something is causing the lift pump to continuously thump. Again it is pumping there is fuel going to the injector body, Still have the gauge light lit up and engine light flashing steadily. Guess Ill have to bring it to dealer and let them hook it up; If PCM is bad does it eratic problems.

Quick Reply: Bad pump or electrical issue?