Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

uncontrolable shake

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 12:42 PM
ravens`
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry uncontrolable shake

Our 2008 Dodge 3500 1 ton 2WD with just over 20,000 miles develops a severe wobble. I've seen it referred to as the "death wobble", my driver agrees to the termnology. He just returned from making a delivery, towing a small car hauler trailer, at approximately 60 MPH the truck began to shake violently. He was on smooth interstate road. Had to slow to 10MPH for the shaking to stop. Not too good of maneuver on interstate!! What gives? I have read about this on older trucks, sounds like most of them had lift kits. This truck is completely stock. Anyone have any suggestions for a fix. So far dealer hasn't been able to help.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 PM
pizzo
All Star

the Dealer its still under warranty Take it back to them...
make a big stink about it... if not jack it up and start checking wheel bearings steering arms links from front axle to frame... Really sucks when It happens to you... My case was the arm from the steering box to the rt side of truck was bad and steering stablizer shock was bad.... of course that was on a 97 2500 4x4 snow plow truck... with a Gas 318

Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 AM
ecwrestoration@yahoo.com
Professional

Check your bushing on your track bar!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:13 PM
BuckeyeRam

I have heard that the snow plow set up is quite a bit different and more HD. Trucks ordered new for snow plowing are delivered with a much better built geometry than the regular issue trucks. A lot of the guys around here are have the same issues you are with a newer truck. They say that the dealers are putting the HD style setup on if the truck is under warranty. Dodge is having all kinds of problems right now. In 1998 and '99, this setup was standard, then they cheapened it up and went away from it. Ask your dealer about the heavy duty snow plow fix. I bet you can get it all fixed with no cost.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take it to the dealer, there has been a few recalls with the steering systems on the newer trucks

Quick Reply: uncontrolable shake