Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bouncing

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:33 PM
KIT007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncing

Ok everyone I am new here but have been reading posts and it seems like you everyone has been very helpful so I am hoping you can help me out.

I have 64,000 miles on an 06 2500 4 x 4 5.9 at around 49,000 miles when I would run over an expansion joint in the highway or hit a bump around 75mph the truck would bounce vilantly until I could slow to around 40mph or so very unsafe on the highway. I changed all four corner shocks and bounce seemed to go away but now a couple months later it has come back. I am at a loss here I really hate to start pulling my front end apart and replacing every piece until it stops but I don t know what to do. I used Monroe OEM replacement shocks I would hope they would not have worn out already but who knows. I also do not see any unusual wear under the truck either but I have not pulled the tires or ball joints yet.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 PM
pizzo
All Star

Its called death wobble and it feels like the tires are fighting each other? correct? You will need to jack it up on jack stands tall ones under the frame and not the front axle. then Check the hole front end.... Use the search tab in the tool bar for DF across from User CP and type in Death Wobble. There is tons on questions and answers in all those posts. This is a common problems not just in Dodge I seen a Chevy two days ago have death wobble He was lifted and had taller tires he fought that truck at 55 mph driving like nothing was wrong.... still cruising at 55mph like that...

Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 AM
KIT007

Pizzo thanks but I have also searched for the DW, but in my case I have complete steering control it just looks to others like I have hydraulics in my truck going down the road very violantly.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
pizzo
All Star

Originally Posted by KIT007
Pizzo thanks but I have also searched for the DW, but in my case I have complete steering control it just looks to others like I have hydraulics in my truck going down the road very violantly.
Oh sorry I took what you was describing as Death Wobble.... Sorry about that I would look at Shocks or Springs...... so your Truck looks like that? LOL

Old 04-19-2010, 04:47 PM
KIT007
Default No ideas

No one has any ideas on this problem? The issue has gotten worse now it is bouncing uncontrollably at 60mph not just 75 and higher.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 PM
garrettg84
Rookie

Originally Posted by KIT007
No one has any ideas on this problem? The issue has gotten worse now it is bouncing uncontrollably at 60mph not just 75 and higher.
Are your tires bouncing or is the truck's suspension compressing and uncompressing?

Could your tires have developed flat spots?

Have you ever put in any of that slime stuff in your tires? Could it be settling or dried out so that it is pooled on 'one side' (of a circle...i know)?

Do you have the outer rim weights for tire/rim balancing or the inner weights? Could the weights have come off?

I had a wobble in my truck, not the 'death wobble' but it happened like what you described feeling. For me, my tires were way out of alignment and toed way far in, at low speeds it was not really noticeable. As soon as I hit something at speed I'd bounce like crazy. My truck wasn't nearly stock though =) I got the alignment fixed and never felt it again. The other issue, the nut holding the pitman arm on was not as tightened as it should have been and this allowed for a lot of play in the steering.

Quick Reply: Bouncing