Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Strange ISB issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 04:14 AM
PerkBilt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
this is starting to sound like a normal problem, well not a problem just normal, i have seen valves out of adjustment cause this and most can be cured up with a valve adjustment, but whits smoke and stumble while cold and a no load rev is normal, if i try to free rev mine when it is cold it wont 1500 and pops and shakes violently, bottom line, these engines dont like being cold, and need to be warmed up to operate correctly, if its only doing it when cold and no load, i wouldnt worrie about it, do a valve adjustment and see what it does,
I adjusted the valves at 75,000, but it does make good sense. I'll adjust them again over the weekend.
I know the 6BT engines we have at work don't run good at all when cold if the overhead needs adjustments.
Thanks for the tip. I'll report back after I try that. It just thought it strange to have started this so suddenly. ran fine all winter with just a minute or two of warmup time.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one more thing, this is the time when fuel companies start to switch to summer blend fuels, and that can change a lot of things too

Old 04-21-2010, 11:41 PM
pizzo
All Star

Thanks Dodge I didn't think of a valve adjustment

Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 AM
gold25dog

Got the same issue - 02 Dodge 3500 with Cummins 24 valve ISB VP44 pump - replaced injectors, lift pump, fuel filter to no avail - idles ok when cold - if you try to do anything (like drive) plumes of white smoke and no power - once it is warmed up (just like the other person with this issue) it runs great. Any help you guys could give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Old 01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
gold25dog

Name:  VP44pumpcutaway.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  71.9 KBI read somewhere while doing research that it could possibly be the spring mechanism that controls the advance on the left side of the pump. I think I may try taking the cover off and inspecting the spring etc since I am at a point of buying a new pump to resolve the issue i have nothing to lose...

Last edited by gold25dog; 01-19-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Bad Pic Link

Quick Reply: Strange ISB issue.