Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

thinking about buying a dodge

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010 | 12:20 AM
jeeper93436
|
Default thinking about buying a dodge

hello everyone,

im thinking about buying a 06 dodge 2500 crew cab 4x4 diesel. the only thing that im worried is that it has 145k miles. truck is in good conditions nothing tore up or modify. i have never own a diesel but i hear they last a long time. what do you guys think? should mileage hold me back? has anyone have had any problems? the deal is 18k with 3yr or 36k miles warranty. i will end up paying 415 for 60 months. zero down. its red and is the big horn edition. any input will help me make my mind by tomorrow.

thanks, jose

Old 04-26-2010 | 12:44 AM
fckstck
Amateur

145k miles? i wish mine had that when i bought it.. thats pretty young on that truck.. i bought an 01 2500 with 186k miles for 6500. even stock the truck is an animal. youll get alot life outa that truck. but dont take my word for your choice..

Old 04-26-2010 | 07:03 PM
nightwalks

It's funny how everyone says how long these CDTs last with lots of miles on 'em, and they do for the most part handle high mileage.....but something everyone seems to forget is that high mileage is ALSO on the truck's OTHER components.....rear and front diff, trans, transfer case, shocks, brakes, springs, bushings, exhaust, body components and electrical controls...heck, even the seats.

Just check it over really well, drive it and listen to it and look for the obvious....sometimes it's a crap shoot, most times you should do well, just remember some of these items will need to be replaced sooner then later with high mileage.

I have purchased (and worked on) many vehicles, and some of the worst were the ones with LOW mileage, and some of the best had very high mileage, just check them out good, or bring someone who has some good mechanical knowledge even if you have to pay them....it's worth it in the long run.

Old 04-27-2010 | 01:37 AM
jeeper93436
|

im picking it up wed. im buying it from a dealer thats been there for 35yr or so. i told the guy i was a mechanic and they better check everything out because i was. yeah im planning in opening the diff covers, trans service, ball joints, and just look it over.

Quick Reply: thinking about buying a dodge