Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New to me 97 CTD ... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:49 AM
locked up
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 97 CTD ... suggestions?

My wife and I just picked up a 97 2wd LWB.

Other than regular maintenance I want to know what I need to look at now and what are some suggested upgrades for the future.

I'm not sure if the killer dowel pin has been replaced/modified/etc ... so that is #1 on my list. Can someone recommend a good complete kit with all the seals gaskets?

After that...

Do I need to be monitoring EGTs? Boost?

Does this truck have the two fuel pump setup to where I should monitor fuel pressure so I know if the in tank pump dies?

As far as upgrades, I'm not looking to enter any truck pulls but I'd like to increase the performance without hurting mileage. I know that this will lead to me needing to rebuild the tranny sooner and that is OK, it is in the plans as well.

I was considering a larger airfilter & 4" exhaust/muffler. I also am looking at these:
94-98 Dodge Ram TST Power Kit without Video
And I was wondering how it compared to the Banks stuff? it looks like it is half the price and adds more power ... so whats the deal?

Lastly, I plan on doing a 2" leveling kit. Has anyone done one and had issues getting it aligned or poor handling?

thanks

Old 06-02-2010, 02:26 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gauges are a must if you want to bump the HP up, you shouldnt have an in tank pump, unless someone has done something very strange, but always hook up a fuel pressure gauge up after the filter and before the injection pump, inlet of the IP is best, exhaust and intake will be a good thing, but i wouldnt waist the time or money on the performance packages, especially from banks... all you really need is a decent set of injectors, and i can walk you through how to tune the injection pump yourself with some basic mechanical knowledge, and simple tools, then you can have enough power to fry the tires and transmission when ever you want or just adjust it for decent useable power

Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 AM
stodg73
Amateur

Here is some gauge information: Gauge Information
Its a long read, but it covers lots of information.

Here is a little more information about upgrades: Suggested Upgrades

Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM
big.red.ram
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tune the afc, slide the fuel plate, grind it down or take it out, good set of 5x12 or 7x10 injectors. bump up the timing. do a governor spring kit mod (3 or 4k. i recommend 4k) that will put u at some decent power

Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 PM
98Dakota
Rookie

In addition to what dodgetrucker is saying the only other thing i am really glad i did was the steering box stabilizer it made a big differance in the way mine drives but i am not sure if it applies to the 2wds i have a 4x4 perhaps dodgetrucker can comment on that as well ???

Quick Reply: New to me 97 CTD ... suggestions?