Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How long does it take before the MPGs improve

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:12 PM
silvercorvette
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does it take before the MPGs improve

I have had diesels on and off for about 30 years and just went back to diesel after driving a few different gas and hybrid cars. I have been keeping a accurate record of MPGs since day one but all the diesels I owned in the past needed 3,000 to 6,000 miles to break in. The engine is different than anything I had in the past. I love the fact that it is so quiet but sometimes I miss the sound that the old diesel had and I almost miss the smell of the old diesels.

Since this engine is like nothing I ever had before I was wondering how many miles before it is broken in and the MPGs improve?

Right now it is getting about 11 to 12 MPG hauling a 4,000 pound slide on camper and 16 to 17 MPG unloaded. That is what I expected so if it does not improve I won't be unhappy and if it does get better it will be getting better than I expected

Old 06-06-2010, 06:02 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the 6.7, thats normal and about all you are going to get, if you go with a smarty programer, you can turn off the egr and the dpf, and get the mpg's up in the 20's and a bit more power if you chose

Old 06-06-2010, 07:30 PM
silvercorvette
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
with the 6.7, thats normal and about all you are going to get, if you go with a smarty programer, you can turn off the egr and the dpf, and get the mpg's up in the 20's and a bit more power if you chose
That is a big improvement, will it effect the warrantee, and if it does effect the warrantee can I easily reverse it if I need warrantee work

Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

IDK about the 6.7 but any programmer / chip I have ever used on my 5.9 only netted maybe 1 mpg better. You may see a slight improvement in mileage over time if you workit some more. My '06 started out at around 15 mpg and it got better after every time I pulled my camper with it.

Oh and despite what anyone tells you the dealer CAN tell if you use a programmer, so you are putting your warranty at risk if you do.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:22 PM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by silvercorvette
That is a big improvement, will it effect the warrantee, and if it does effect the warrantee can I easily reverse it if I need warrantee work
If you delete the DPF and/or the EGR it will violate the EPA/federal emissions regulations and will void the manufacturer's warranty. I have also read that if found with the federal emissions stuff removed, you can face a large fine.

The DPF (diesel particulate filter) is the main culprit in reducing the mileage these engines could get. There are DPF delete kits, labelled for off-road use only, that will increase mileage by as much as 5 mpg. The DPF is like a muffler with a few wires/sensors attached. If it is removed, you need to shut off the DPF regeneration in the computer. They seem pretty easy to delete and to reattach, but I don't know what kind of footprint will be left in the computer and for how long (reference warranty work).

I looked into getting a DPF delete kit for my 6.7, but now California is starting a diesel emissions check. I'll have to wait to see how it plays out.

PS- Nice vettes! I have an '04 Z06 w/Kenne Bell supercharger.

Last edited by hattitude; 06-06-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:55 AM
silvercorvette
Rookie

The top one is a 96 collector edition, and the bottom one is a 62 fulie with power windows.

One nice thing about moving from NY to SC is no inspections or emissions testing at all.

Last edited by silvercorvette; 06-07-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:01 AM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by silvercorvette
The top one is a 96 collector edition, and the bottom one is a 62 fulie with power windows.

One nice thing about moving from NY to SC is no inspections or emissions testing at all.
Love that '62 fuelie............

If there are no inspections where you are moving to, I know I would put a dpf & egr delete kit on mine. As soon as my factory warranty was up, I was going to get one, but now I have the inspections.....

Do a search for "DPF Delete kit" and you should get some good info.

Good Luck!

Old 06-07-2010, 03:04 AM
silvercorvette
Rookie

Originally Posted by hattitude
Love that '62 fuelie............

If there are no inspections where you are moving to, I know I would put a dpf & egr delete kit on mine. As soon as my factory warranty was up, I was going to get one, but now I have the inspections.....

Do a search for "DPF Delete kit" and you should get some good info.

Good Luck!
Except for some time I spent in TX and CT I spent most of my life in NY. NY had too many rules and inspections along with lousy gun laws, I never liked the NY state emissions test where they abused the heck out of the vehicle when they tested it. I am glad I got out of NY and moved to SC Aug of 07 and down here anything goes so I plan on staying here. I just got the truck and slide in camper a short while ago. I am going to be driving up to NY for a visit, then back down to SC driving the entire length of the Blue ridge Parkway. If my plans work out I will be headed over to Tucson AZ at the end of the summer, then spend some time in the Florida keys this winter.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:06 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the smarty is detectable for the 6.7 but not for the 5.9, but will also allow you to shut off the emission stuff with out having to delete it

Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 PM
hattitude
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
the smarty is detectable for the 6.7 but not for the 5.9, but will also allow you to shut off the emission stuff with out having to delete it
Thanks, I was unaware of that info........

But........... if you shut off the regeneration cycle AND leave the DPF in place, won't the DPF get clogged?

Quick Reply: How long does it take before the MPGs improve