Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

A/c issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010 | 12:29 AM
bertrob21
|
Default A/c issues

My a/c is only blowing warm air. I checked all the fuses and the compressor. The compressor is getting no electricity to it. What do you think it could be? The compressor relay switch? No freon? Is there a fuse somewhere that I don't know about? I seem to think its an electrical issue. Advice please! Thanks!

Old 06-28-2010 | 10:35 AM
brettj2408
Captain

well there are 3 switches that control the compressor. LPCO, HPCO, and control Head.
If the refrigerant is too low the LPCO wont let the compressor turn on.
If the refrigerant is too high the HPCO wont let the compressor turn on.
And if the control head is inop you wont ever get compressor usage.
check your relay for your compressor/coil.

Old 06-28-2010 | 06:46 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Another thing you can check is the coil on the compressor. Last fall mine went dead. I did some checking and found the coil that actuates the compressor was open. If the ECM makes a certain number of attempts and the circuit is bad, it will shut the circuit down.

There is a plug on top of the compressor at the back. Unplug it and check the compressor side for continuity. If it is open or shorted the coil is bad.

Last year when mine went down, they did not have repair parts, so I had to get a whole new compressor. They said that repair parts would be coming though.

Old 07-03-2010 | 06:13 PM
beefythedodge
Veteran

most likely if its not kicking on at all, you dont have a charge to the system. the relay can go out but that is unusual. you can quickly check that by switching the ac fan clutch relay with you windshield wiper motor one or something like that and see if it works then. but that is doubtfull i would throw a charge at it and see what happens. just pray you dont have a clog in the system, that is the nightmare that i am going through right now. good luck!

Old 08-29-2010 | 03:13 PM
cooterscuzn
Default Same exact problem

I have the same problem with my a/c. Were you ever able to fix your problem? I too have no power to the compresor. I was told that it was the fuse block. I dont know jack about truck electrical systems. Your feedback would be of great help. Thank you sir, Cooter.

Quick Reply: A/c issues