Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

More power towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Willpar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More power towing

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on a couple of "safe" enhancements to my diesel setup to increase torque a bit, without more possible damage to my VP44? It is completely stock except the tires are 265/75/16 not 245/75/16. It has A618-42re and a 3.54 dana 70. It does well but I want more abilities going up hills. Also does anyone tow on flat ground in overdrive? please advise... I know the tailshaft house for overdrive is the weakest leak, but what kind of luck have you had?

Also if anyone has any techniques for making that injector pump last?

1999 ram 2500 24 valve

Thanks so much,

Will

Last edited by Willpar; 07-02-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:49 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Before your do ANYTHING, you absolutely need, at minimum, a fuel pressure and EGT gauge. You dont really want to pull hills and not have any idea where your temps are. The fuel pressure gauge is a must, not an option. You need to keep fuel going to the VP, with an aftermarket lift pump like an AirDog, FASS, or even a Raptor or Walbro. Its critical to keep the VP44 supplied with adequate fuel, as the VP is lubricated by the fuel that goes through it. If you starve it even once, the damage has been done, and it will almost certainly fail.

As far as power, the Smarty will supply power downlow, but falls off in the upper range. Another option is an Edge Juice, or a TST PM2. You can also look into a smaller set of injectors along with a programmer/box to give you some more power.

Oh, and your trans is a 47RE. The weakest link in it is the factory torque converter. I dont think Ive ever heard of tailshaft housing problems...Id say you'll want to upgrade the converter and valvebody for a little crisper shift.

Last edited by scatpack_69; 07-02-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:10 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Like Scar said, gauges first before mods. You may find that you need a lift pump once you start monitoring fuel pressure. You won't want to add much power at all without looking into some trans updates. The autos are not known to last long at much above stock power.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:55 AM
Willpar
Default Thanks Guys

I appreciate all the input, you seem experienced. Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm just used to the gas engines and transmissions....Is the 42re a 727 with overdrive? and with wider bands and thicker clutch packs? What is your recommended minimum input pressure to the vp44.... based on your experience, not what the book says.

Thanks,

Will

Old 07-05-2010, 03:11 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

The 4x are 727 based with an overdrive. The 48re has a higher torque rating than the 42...

4=4 speed
8(or 2, or 7 etc)=torque rating, with higher number being higher rating
R=?
E=electronic control. H would be hydraulic

As for the internal differences, Ive never busted one apart, so Im not sure. I would imagine more clutch surface area, maybe more clutches, on the 48re versus a 42re.

Minimum pressure...well that seems to change every week. Ive personally not yet had a 24v, but the general cinsensus seems to be around 14/15 minimum, and no more than 20psi. Some say as low as 12 (Cummins says no lower than 10)

Quick Reply: More power towing