Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

clutch/tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010 | 11:17 AM
bigmike
|
Professional
Default clutch/tranny

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello guys and gals,
It has been way too long since i have posted...anyway
I know some of the basics of clutches and trannies, but i need some opinions...specs: '04 ram 2500 cummins, 6sp, 4x4, 120,000mi, 100hp box, intake, original clutch. I do tow fairly regularly...1 or 2 times a month (jeep).

I am having difficulty getting it into 1st and reverse and slight trouble in the other gears, it seems worse when it has been driven a while. When i first start it up, all seems fine. When i am driving it shifts ok, but i have to push it a little harder than normal into each gear. I don't feel any slip, as i can put it in 6th gear at 35mph and stomp it with no slip.

My thoughts - 1. synchros, but would they get worse with heat buildup or just be bad anytime. 2. master cylinder - full of fluid and no apparent leaks. 3. slave cylinder - no apparent leaks. 4. throwout bearing - clutch feel is normal 5. some other hydraulic issue.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-19-2010 | 05:23 PM
sgg93

I would tend to think it's the slave cylinder going out. I believe I'd replace i (Even though it has to be done as an assembly)

Old 07-19-2010 | 05:33 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

its either the throw out bearing or the slave cylinder assembly going south

Old 07-20-2010 | 09:21 AM
bigmike
|
Professional

Thanks for the replies. I believe it to be the slave cylinder myself. I think i may replace the entire hydraulic assembly. I'll update when i have a chance to get to it.

Old 07-26-2010 | 10:02 AM
bigmike
|
Professional

Just to update...i replaced the hydraulics assembly(slave, MC, line) and it seems way way better. The pedal pushes back much quicker than it was to. Thanks for the comments.

Quick Reply: clutch/tranny