Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 AM
bluedually
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Problem

I got a 94 5.9 and the problem I have with the power steering is that it is turning way too easy. I can easily steer it with my little finger and little effort.
Would this be a problem in the ps pump/pump valve or am I looking at a problem in the steering gear with the pressure valve? I do have a small leak in the vac pump/ps pump area and possibly the steering gear area but neither one amounts to much. I am aware of the problem with leaking seals between the vac/ps pump by the way. I just got the pickup and I'm doin some work on it for my dad so I don't know all that much about it except that my dad bought it with the ps problem. Thanks in advance for your help

Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 AM
brettj2408
Captain

is your steering dampner leaking? do you get shimmys or shaking over bumps?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 PM
bluedually

The steering dampner is leaking and I know it needs to be replaced but that is not the problem. The steering turns way too easy like there is too much pressure running through the pump into the steering gear or there is something in the steering gear that is not regulating the pressure. Everything else in the steering is just fine, I just have the problem that it steers way too easy, there is no feel of the road. Is there a proportioning valve in the power steering pump that regulates the pressure? Would excess pressure to the steering gearbox cause problems there too?

Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

steering to easy is normally a problem with the steering gear,

Quick Reply: Power Steering Problem