Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Losing power up grades

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Hymyldsl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing power up grades

Got a 96 12v, 472,000 miles. While pulling the camper home on I-80 I began a slow loss of speed and power when encountering even the slightest grade. At cruising speed in OD, I'm doing 70mph at about 1750 rpm. Anytime I begin to ask a little more from her (uphill), I begin a slow descent to about 60 and 1500 rpm, throttle on the floor the whole time.

I have excellent high pitch turbo whistle however I do not have any guages to tell me the boost. Frankly I don't know much about turbos.

Everything is stock, except a K&N and a straight pipe.. I have the history since 30,000 miles, always had good care.

Do turbos lose their spunk after a while? It doesn't blow smoke and I get about 14-18mpg.

I equate this to an asthmatic patient in a bout of status asthmaticus, only I can't give a molotov of albeuterol and atrovent or install a CPAP machine.

I drove an non turbo diesel vehicle with a trailer at the fire department recently and I can equate it to that.

Sorry for the long story. Please give me some advice or things to check.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

need to check fuel pressure at the injection pump inlet, sounds like one of three things, pluging fuel filter, failing lift pump, of failing overflow valve

Old 08-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Hymyldsl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I might add is that nothing major has happened lately. It still starts good, drives good and nothing is out of the norm. Only when I am asking for some power. There is always a lot of talk about the power and torque with the cummins. If this is how they act as they age, then I am not sure about what is so good with them.

Quick Reply: Losing power up grades