Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cummins upgrade?? Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010 | 01:06 AM
Twotone
|
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cummins upgrade?? Need Help

Hey all, Ive got a 2009 Laramie full load w/ 3.92s.

Now my Father wants the truck and Im thinking about moving into the 3500 single axle.

Now Im not sure I dig 17" wheels for starters (Ford has the 20's)
The Cummins (and yes I know the hype) is less powerful than the Ford.
Motortrend picks the Ford in they're shoot out.
Yes I like the Fords cosmetics.

SO Lol

Im a mechanic by trade however Diesel is NOT my strong point so Im quite nervous about the switch but I did take a look under the hood of a friends new 2011 F450...Got to say wow WTH is all this for??? Can't see the engine just aluminum blocks and different color fluids everywhere...Looks REAL expensive to fix...

Im not a Chevy man personally but I did look at the Denali HD...whatever next..

So If I buy the "old" 6.7 Cummins am I missing out on a technically better truck? Is Cummins going to upgrade the engine and Im left standing with last years model? Are people have problems with the DPF and EGRs on the new trucks (Like everyone I know with Semis?) Why Does Cummins offer the urea package in the cab and chassis's??

Help Im needing an education here I think before I make a 65k mistake!

Thanks

Old 08-19-2010 | 09:57 PM
Twotone
|
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok did some more research on the two trucks,

Now Im a Dodge fan always have been however it seems to me that the EGR/DPF system is a real problem. It also sounds to me like Dodge it probably changing the system to the Urea injection soon to (like the 4500/5500) so whats a guy to do there??

I looked at both today at the dealerships to and they also don't spray STONE white anymore...I love my cream colored 1500. They only have Artic White.

So My wife and I would end up picking a Austin Tan Two tone Laramie, Crew cab Short Box and installing 20" wheels aftermarket but not to make it look like homey G...Might be tough lol

Or

We go King Ranch Crew Short (To bad no Harley this year) ....but its a FORD ugh.. But the styling is sure nice (Wife doesn't care for it though lol)

Id sure like to know if that 6.7 Ford built is a piece of junk or the best thing ever...Because thats what Im down I guess. I have been reading the forums intensively but Im finding hard to gauge the difference between a 2007.5 and todays engine...Are they the same with the same problems?!

Plus side though we checked out GMC/Chev to..MAN do they have a LONG way to go styling wise, that dash is not nice and NO technology in the cluster..To bad. I find it odd a 70k truck looks freakishly the same as a 20k truck. Even the Denali doesn't really offer that wow factor.

Any thoughts or experience with these 6.7s would be appreciated!

Old 08-20-2010 | 01:43 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from 07.5 and newer, they are basically all the same, the thing with the dpf and egr is, everyone uses them for a daily driver and they dont get driven hard enough, if tis not pulling a load every so often, it atleast needs to be driven hard to keep the systems clean, thats the biggest problem with these systems, and the loss of fuel milage, however with a tuner such as the smarty, you can turn these systems off and remove them, often resulting in milage up in the 20's and no problems, if you are in an area to get away with that

Old 08-21-2010 | 09:35 PM
brettj2408
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my buddy has the new 2011 ford powerstroke 6.7 and im not gonna lie that thing hauls ***.
he bought it 3 weeks ago and 1 1/2 weeks later he ended up getting a new one for the pcm shorting out all of his electronics. so now in 3 weeks he is already on his 2nd 2011 superduty.
and his first one didnt have urea/ but now his f-250 has it. so some had it some dont.

the 6.7 dodge is very very well built truck and would recommend it to anyone. some people complain about the miles per gallon with the egr and dpf but oh well. some delete the dpf/egr and some leave it stock. its all up to what your comfortable with.
only the chassis cabs have urea injected in dodges but for 2011 they will more than likely all have urea injection.

Quick Reply: Cummins upgrade?? Need Help