Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

EGT Spike w/o Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 01:51 AM
Waxman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT Spike w/o Muffler

Hello all,
I have a question for the Diesel people on here and sorry it's a long read/post.

Since I'm sure all will ask and need to know the mods I've installed here we go:

Edge w/Attitude
aFe cold air intake
Banks big head waste gate
Banks 4" exhaust from turbo back
Banks Hi Ram intake
4" Lift
35" Tires

Now for my question.........I was bored........OK first problem yes! Well I wanted to see what differences there would be if I removed the Banks muffler from my exhaust and went with a straight pipe. I had some exhaust tube (4") to use from my stock system and did the swap.

So for those who want to know YES it is LOUD when you get on it! (It barks!) Not to bad when just cruising. However while playing around a little bit to see how things reacted with no muffler here's what I found. When I get on it hard now and let off my EGT's spike and 1300. For safety I have my box set to defuel at 1200deg. I just don't want to have a problem with burning a piston. (Done that way too many times with the snomobile!) So while I'm on it the temps are only around 850 and the running temp of the engine was at about 185.

I have NEVER spiked the temp or set the alarm off while just driving or hot ******* it. (At any setting) Temps get up there when towing but I expect that and only use level one or stock. I'm perplexed with this as I would have thought that exhaust flow would have been better without the muffler. Less back pressure.......

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on with this? I'm stumped.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2010, 02:30 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

egt's whould never go up when letting off, but will for only two reasons i can think of, either an exhaust brake is engauging (still shouldnt raise temps) or your pyro system is faulty, what year truck?

Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Waxman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks,
I agree it's strange which is why I've posted.

I've had no problems with my EGT's prior to going straight pipe and readings are close to what I was running prior to pulling the muffler. While driving it around a little yesterday and today my cruising EGT #'s seem to be about 50 deg cooler. This is in line with what I was expecting from free flow out the exhaust. Better flow......lower EGT's.

I do not have an exhaust brake on my truck so that's not effecting anything.

Oh, and thought I put the year of my truck in here guess I missed it......sorry. I have a 2004 (Not 2004.5) so no cat, 3/4 Ton, 4X4 with the 48RE trans.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Waxman; 08-30-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Quick Reply: EGT Spike w/o Muffler