Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

gasser to diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM
lord0fsal3m
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasser to diesel

hey guys, i currently have a 2nd gen gasser which i love, but i dont love the gas milage, and more power is never a bad thing. ive been thinking a lot about getting a CTD, but i dont know much about diesels. id like to know what the best CTD is to get, i like the look of the 2nd gens, but i dont know if the 5.9L is the best, and i know there are a lot of restrictions on newer ones. mainly id just be using the truck as a DD/weekend playtoy, i dont tow or haul, i just want better gas milage and power from it (probably chip and bigger exhaust at least)

so id like to know what i should be looking for in a motor, and what to check for in a used CTD. thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a lot of money to dump in for better fuel economy...

The Edelbrock air gap intake manifold should give you a considerable bump in both power and economy in your existing truck, but if you want to get a second truck, I'd say get whichever one you like the best. They've all got their ups and downs. The 6.7 is a monster when uncorked, the 5.9 gets better fuel economy, the 68rfe is a better trans for stock/moderate power levels, but if you're going to get insane with power the 5.9's trannies have better aftermarket options now.

Quick Reply: gasser to diesel