Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

piston slap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM
ecwrestoration@yahoo.com
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston slap!!!

Hey guy's, well i found out that i have a piston slap in my 05 ctd... going to take out the motor soon and rebuild it. Anyone have a good place to buy all parts needed for this job, with rod & head bolts & turbo?
CPL# 8422, engine #57247574, 05, 3500, auto. Thanks....

Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Sounds like you'll be needing upper and lower gasket sets, main and rod bearings, and a set of rings.

Let me know if ya need the parts.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you get the cylinders and deck checked, as well as the head.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:40 PM
ecwrestoration@yahoo.com
Professional

Originally Posted by Coal Train
Sounds like you'll be needing upper and lower gasket sets, main and rod bearings, and a set of rings.

Let me know if ya need the parts.

I would HIGHLY recommend that you get the cylinders and deck checked, as well as the head.
Thanks Coal train, here are some of the pricing i've been getting, Performance diesel products; $2,303.33 for (all stock cummins) Pistons, ring & pin, upper/lower kit, bearings, oil/water pump, rod/head bolts and other gaskets. $1,279, banks intercooler w/intake. Turbo 325/400hp, $950.00....cpl 8422, engine #57247574. I could fax you other quotes to compair/match.. See where you would be $... looking to go 400/500hp?? Right know i have air system & 5" exhaust. If you need to chat give me a call 973-809-7577 cell

Old 10-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Coal Train
All Star

Have you pulled the motor yet to see if you even need all that stuff.....or if that's all you need?

If it's piston slap, you're the first guy I've seen with a Cummins that has that problem.

Now, a bad bearing....that's a whole lot more common and is a totlly different animal.

My suggestion, BEFORE you go getting a ton of parts is pull the motor and see what the REAL damamge is.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:28 PM
ecwrestoration@yahoo.com
Professional

Originally Posted by Coal Train
Have you pulled the motor yet to see if you even need all that stuff.....or if that's all you need?

If it's piston slap, you're the first guy I've seen with a Cummins that has that problem.

Now, a bad bearing....that's a whole lot more common and is a totlly different animal.

My suggestion, BEFORE you go getting a ton of parts is pull the motor and see what the REAL damamge is.
Will be removing engine soon, then i'll know more about what i need to order! (may wait till the mechine shop checks it out) I did a youtube vid.,if you saw it you might hear my noise. Right now i'm locating my part sourse! Want to by everything from one shop.

Quick Reply: piston slap!!!