Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Smoke out oil fill, some oil on engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Cummins12Valve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke out oil fill, some oil on engine

got a 1996 12 valve 4x4 with 373,xxx KM, just today I noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the back of the engine rising out the top just behind the valve cover, thinking it was maybe exhaust (mine fell off and sits at the back of the cab now) it was windy so it might be, so i jumped up to smell it and it was almost odourless couldnt tell what it was, so just for the hell of it I twisted off the oil fill cap and there was quite a bit of smoke, thinking ah **** I got blow by, but I dont fully know what blow by means lol, checked coolant, its mint theres some oil on the engine, it holds what it has prettygood, like maybe drop a litre or two in 6 months

my buddy has the same truck and he was blowing some funny colours out his exhaust, my truck is bone stock and like I said ****ty welds for a straight pipe didnt hold up and it fell off, so I never know what my truck is blowing, I grabbed a stack out of the shop, put it on my exhaust got in and gave er a bit of hell, she blew blue, not alot of blue but enough to know it was there, and she never really blew black either, took till about 2500 rpm for smoke to even come out, I have close to $20,000 in maintenance recipts for this thing and since I have had it since i was 16 I did oil every 5000 km drive it like a grandpa for optimal fuel efficiency and trying to stay away from repairs

also when I hit that high rpm 2500 she started to sputter a bit I always let off, but I went one round and powered thru it, it just sputtered a few times but kept going strong,

oh and tranny is on its way out aswell! held up prettygood 373,000K and no repairs bout the best auto ive heard lol

I need help guys! im starting school in january and I need my truck for its fuel efficiency and to make money!

Thanks for your time

Curtis

Old 10-17-2010, 03:05 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesnt sound like you have a problem, there is no positive ventalation, so seeing "smoke" (which is just oil vapor) is normal

Old 10-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Cummins12Valve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its just been one thing after another with my truck its hit that wave of required repairs before it will go on another problem free streak, thought she was running into engine problems now, thanks for your help, is there anything I can do to stop it?

Quick Reply: Smoke out oil fill, some oil on engine