Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 PM
dodge626
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well one thing i found out today is that if i were to go and buy this truck i would have to pay the difference in sales tax and all the other things i would have to do plus if something is wrong with the truck after i buy it i wont be able to bring back to where i bought it so these are other things i am worried about its just that hard to find the truck that i want around here

Old 11-01-2010, 05:20 AM
01ramcummins
Professional

Originally Posted by horatio102
Put additives in every day?

Please tell him that someone on the internet called him a moron.
ditto. that guy knows nothing about diesels. i have a 96 12v and i average between 18-23, and i dnt drive easy. i have kinda a heavy foot. but i cut exhaust all the way back. took the turbo silencer out, took off the original air filter and put a BHA (big honkin airfilter) on it. and some other littlethings. if you go with a 12v. its a hell of alot easier to work on, everything is rite under the hood. u can see it all and work on it all. it doesnt have the get up and go that the 24v has, but you can always upgrade. i personally love my 12v. but my dad loves his 24v and my bro inlaw loves his 3rd gen 24v. there awsome trucks and i will tell u u wont be dissappointed. get the truck you want. dont listen to people who dont knw what there talking about. and if you have any questions about this stuff. you knw where to come and all us diesel owners will do our best and be glad to help u. good luck in ur search.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:03 AM
rodnok
Rookie

If you are buying a diesel to save money you are barking up the wrong tree. If you are buying it because you want more power then you are on the right track. Every repair or maintenance item you do will cost more. Oil changes take 11 quarts of oil instead of 5. filters cost more etc. You will be able to haul or tow more weight with less fuel because of the power, but everyday driving will not be cheaper because diesel is now more expensive than gas.
Here is an example of the mileage difference while towing. I had a 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton with 318. Empty I got 18-19 mpg. towing a 26 foot 5th wheel i got 8-9 mpg on flat ground and as low as 4-5 on a average grade.. I now have a 24v diesel 2 wheel drive. I get 21-23 empty.Towing a 32 foot 5th wheel that weighs twice as much as the 26 ft. I get 15-16 on flat ground and 12-13 on a average grade.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 PM
dodge626
Professional

well of course i know that a diesel has more power and i can do with but if i do buy a gas truck the same size ill b spending more in daily driving plus towing would cut my mileage down to i know about all of this i have thought about it and im sure that getting a diesel is right for me i just have to find one for the right price and so far that hasnt happened and im sure when i get a truck ill b on here because i have plans for it after i save up some money haha just keep wishing me luck because right now the search sucks

Old 11-03-2010, 06:34 AM
01ramcummins
Professional

theres a couple dodges for sale here in cali. depending on what u want. theres just a couple 2nd gens. and alot of 3rd gens. very good prices. i always look on craigslist, thats where i found my truck. love it. im always looking tho.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 PM
dodge626
Professional

yeh thats kinda a bit far away from me im in western ny state and im on craigslist and ebay all the time looking just either not find what im looking for when its close to me or the price is too high and the truck is to far away i did find a really nice one in texas but i talked to the dealership and they dont haggle and i think they want too much for it plus all the other money i would have to spend to get it back here and stuff so im on the hunt still and its getting frustrating so yea

Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 AM
01ramcummins
Professional

ohhhhh yea. ny, kinda on the other side of the country. lol but yea. good luck with your search. if it was me. id buy one and fly out to get it and drive back. but thats just me. personally. but again., good luck.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 PM
dodge626
Professional

yeh i have thought about that already when i found a truck i liked down in texas and i talked to the dealership and everything and the lady was like o i have a friend in one of the airlines i cant remember which one but the dealership doesnt haggle and they want to much for the truck so i had to move on and keep looking so that sucks