Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Possible Injector pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 AM
Cummins12Valve
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Injector pump?

Truck wont start unless you tap the pedal, been like this for about a year, when I got it, it was around 1.5 seconds to fire up and over a long period it got worse and eventually just didnt want to go, wasn't a big deal because it would fire up like a champ by just giving it the slightest slightest quick gentle tap, been having some trouble with the headlights so I got one of the Diesel Techs at work to look at it at work, I work for Ford, and asked him about the problem, figured I was in luck but all the Diesel guys are ford specific they only know 6.0 and 6.4/6.7 engines so they were unfamiliar with the 12 valve cummins but he figured the p7100 was getting tired. to counter the starting problem I just put a couple zap straps on the throttle cable it upped the idle and it fires up nice, but I swear its still getting harder to start even with the straps but I could be wrong its been getting colder every day.

Did fuel filter not to long ago, truck is weak when starting. batteries are probally getting tired, alternator is fine charges them up good after a drive,
also putting out lots of oil vapour thru oil fill, going to put alot of money into it next week, transmission, brakes etc I dont have the money for another injector pump, could it be a deeper problem than just the injector pump? is it worth putting money into this thing? oh and shes using alot more fuel but thats probally just because the transmission is on its way out.

Thanks guys

Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to turn the low idle adjustment to 800-850 rpm's and that should cure your problem (driver side, rear of injection pump in the pic)

Name:  idle_adj.gif
Views: 40
Size:  15.5 KB

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 10-27-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
98Dakota
Rookie

DodgeTrucker75 is right i had exactly the same problem and that cured it ..i get -20 up here most of winter and no problems starting at all ..

Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Cummins12Valve

Awesome, I'll give that a shot tomorrow at work

Quick Reply: Possible Injector pump?