Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Advice Needed-1998 Ram 2500 The good, the bad!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:12 AM
isadream
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed-1998 Ram 2500 The good, the bad!

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 1998 dodge ram 2500 with the 24v Cummins motor in it. The truck has aprrox 170k miles on it and has a rebuilt trans that comes with a warranty from a shop.

I have never owned a diesel before and I all I know about them is you put diesel fuel in them and they tow more then a gas motor!! (basically I know NOTHING)

I am only pulling a 2 horse trailer and 2-3 1200 pound round bales at a time but I have to pull up a mtn.

I did have a 1995 1500 5.9 which always got me up the mtn and I only pulled 2 round bales with it but it seemed like it was always struggling to make. I barely did 25 mph coming up.

My problem is that if I purchase this truck I will not have any money for expensive repairs on it plus I dont know how hard it is to find a mechanic who can work on a diesel.

My husband can do a few things on the gas motors but he doesnt know anything about a diesel and we dont know if its much different.

Any thoughts or advice??

Thanks so much for the help--and if you feel I should pass on the truck because of ignorance just let me know. I would rather pass then end up over my head!

Quick Reply: Advice Needed-1998 Ram 2500 The good, the bad!