Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Guy with Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 04:39 PM
kevnstac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with Questions

I posted in the wrong section so maybe this question will show up twice, being I'm new here please forgive my ignorance.

I have a 2007 with 6.7 Cummins I just bought yesterday. It has 71k miles and about 250 miles into my trip from Texas to Alabama the check engine light came on. I found it to be code P0489.
How long can I run with this code? I have a 900 mile trip planned in 2 days and I'm not sure a dealer will be able to fix it in one day and have it back to me and I need this truck for the trip.
Thanks for any info you guys can give me.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad EGR? I'd remove the EGR, throw it in a dumpster, and get a programmer to fix your problem.

Unless you live in an emissions testing area.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 AM
kevnstac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have no emission or regular inspection here in Alabama so I can remove everything. The trouble is, I don't know my butt from my elbow when it comes to a diesel. This is the first diesel truck I've ever owned.
I did take it to the dealer and they are replacing the EGR today under warranty.
If someone has step by step photo instructions of proper removal and what programmer to get, I'm all for trying that's for sure.
I'd much prefer not to have problems down the road.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:59 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of H&S.

http://www.hsperformance.com/

Unfortunately you can kiss your warranty goodbye if you modify the engine and you have issues down the road, but I've got faith in the engine minus the emissions crap. I'm also running a 2 micron fuel filter and soon I'll be running a 2 micron bypass oil filter, and whenever I can find it I'll be running CI-4+ oil or the new CJ-4 crap with a good additive.

Quick Reply: New Guy with Questions