Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

optimal fuel supply line size? 98 24v 5.9L mod'd

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:45 PM
mattstarr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default optimal fuel supply line size? 98 24v 5.9L mod'd

I have a 1998 5.9L (24 valve) ram 2500 with full banks kit (chip, exhaust, hi-ram), marine injectors (not sure how much of upgrade, previous owner installed injectors) and I recently upgraded my vp44 injection pump to one of the bluechip upgraded models (vpx, i think?) when I had to replace it recently. I replaced the lifter pump.
The short:
Is 1/2" fuel line too large for supplying a FASS lift pump by its self?
can a fuel supply line be too large?

The long(why this is now my issue):
I also added a bully dog fuel supply upgrade kit (which has since been discontinued, I believe) that consisted of a holly blue and a 1/2" fuel line and fittings. I have since been through that and a second holley blue (the motor contacts burn out either from running a more viscous fuel or from continuous duty cycle- im guessing the reason why I have not since seen this kit offered) and so I have decided to remove the blue from the equation, as it is an unreliable option for a daily driver. Each one lasted approximately 6 months each. I removed the stock fuel supply line (and may have mangled it in doing so...) and am wondering if it seems feasible to use the existing 1/2" line with my FASS pump, which my blue has previously been assisting. I believe that I recall trying before, and finding that my pressures dropped too much, but have since ordered (but have yet to install) the BD banjo bolt upgrade kit in the hopes that it would relieve some restriction on the upstream side of the FASS pump. Questions? Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:39 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the line wont be too big, fass should actually come with 1/2 fittings, however 3/8 line is way more than that setup would ever need, and i know what you mean about holly pumps, we lost a pile of them in a very short ammount of time, even all there parts houses list them as for diesel, if you call holly direct, they will in fact tell you that their pumps are NOT compatiable with diesel...

Quick Reply: optimal fuel supply line size? 98 24v 5.9L mod'd