Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Tazman40
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny question

Just got the 07 2500 last week and so far i love it.

This is my first newer diesel and have a question about this tranny.Seems to shift perfect but my concern is downshifting.Just driving with no load when i come into towns ,speed zones it doesnt seem to down shift.If i come into a 35 mph zone or turn a corner when i hit 40 mph it feels like someone throws it in neutral,and it just freewheels/coasts.I have never felt it downshift but when u speed back up,or take off from a light it does upshift fine.Is this just the way these trannys are, or is there something i should have a dealer look at.Its just wierd because any other vehical i have drove u can feel it downshift when turning a corner.

Thanks for any replys.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Do you have the 4 speed auto with the 5.9l or the 6 speed auto with the 6.7l?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Tazman40
Professional

4 speed with the 5.9

Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Try driving with the tow/haul mode on. A diesel does not provide engine braking like a gas engine will, unless you have an exhaust brake. What you are describing sounds "normal" to me.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Tazman40
Professional

Yes i just drove the wifes Trailblazer and watched the tach and i see it does the same thing.I never noticed it in a gas engine cause the motor is so quiet.Now with the CTD i can hear the rpms drop.Just had me wondering,I hate new vehicals cause i go on high alert listening and trying to feel if anything is wrong.

I didnt buy it from a dealer so i have a appointment tomarrow for them to drive it and put it on a lift to give it a comb over.Maybe they will see something i didnt when i bought it.It still has 18 months on the warrenty so if they find something maybe it will be covered.

Thanks for the reply,really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Tranny question