Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

6.7 advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:41 AM
crawldog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7 advice

Just purchased a 2008 cummins. has 30k miles on it looking to do a few upgrades. would like to help my mpg on it used to have a 2004 and put a bully dog triple dog on it and cold air intake and it helped it quite a bit...any suggestions dont know what to buy for this one and how much would it help...also any suggestions on some seat covers that are confortable the seats are awful stiff in this truck...thanks for the help

Old 01-15-2011, 03:48 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Emissions compliant or not?

If you don't need to remain emissions compliant, then I recommend a turbo-back exhaust, EGR/DPF delete, fuel rail shim, and an H&S tuner. It'll wake the truck up like you wouldn't believe (I smoked a 370z through the intersection today) and you'll get better mileage - I usually get 16-18mpg combined and I drive like I stole it.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Spaceace182

Horatio102, How hard is it to put on and take all that stuff off? If you have to be emissions compliant can't you just take it off put the stock stuff back on and then get it smogged? Then once it's done just go back home and put it all back on till the next time smog is due? Reason I ask is I am thinking of doing the EGR/DPF delete kit with the tuner. Any thoughts on this matter?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:42 AM
scesff2147

I agree about the H&S tuner. I just got the mini maxx and I love it. I still hsve my dpf in place so I am not getting the full effect but next payday I am gonna take care of that. LOL. As far as the EGR delete when you put the H&S tuner in with the DPF deleted I was tod that the tuner turns off your EGR valve. Good Luck with your new truck. Let us know how you make out.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya, you dont have to delete the egr, but you do have to delete the dpf if you turn it off, smarty also makes an awsome tuner, and most are reporting 20+ mpg's with the the egr/dpf missing....

Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was my understanding that on 07.5-09 models you had to remove the EGR, but on 10+ you can just do it electronically.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Spaceace182

Yeah I heard the same thing, that you had to remove the EGR, they make a kit for that too. The smog thing is not even a smog test, all it is, is a visual inspection. As long as everything is in place when you go in they give it a thumbs up and send you on your way. I do know if you are still under wanrrenty the Computer on your truck stores everything and as far as I know it cannot be deleted with any after market tuner. Please inform if I am worng about this. Anyways if you go in for warrenty work they will most certainly plugin your computer and will rat you out from all the aftermarket stuff that you have had on it. So be careful. I know with the DPf delete kits and tuners, you have to be very careful running with stock stuff. You can break things really quick. I may be beating a dead horse here but just giving the friendly reminder. I really want to get the DPF kit with exhaust. Jut gonna have to save up for it. All the stuff you guys recommend is VERY pricey! LOL Who ever said this gets adicting was right!!!!

Quick Reply: 6.7 advice