Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

small issues, I hope

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 AM
MXDad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small issues, I hope

I am fairly new to these Cummins. Recently bought an 05 ram3500 Which had just had a new turbo installed. Brought it home and did a bunch of little repairs to the truck. the engine seems strong and starts in the extreme cold days we have had. One thing that worries me and is hard for me to put in words is, when the truck is sitting and idleing it kicks up to a higher rev after a while. when it kicks up I would say it sounds like a pulse up and down but not enough to show on the tach. if you know what a hit and miss engine sounds like I would tend to say this sounds a lot like that.I have two friends with 05's and they are doing the same thing but both say it wasn't doing it when they bought them

As far as the engine.
it has a leak which seems to be rear main seal. valve cover was leaking but we replaced that and adjusted the valves while we were in there.
We removed all intake plumbing and cooler to make sure nothing was in there from the old turbo
Cleaned the sensor in the intake
Installed a raptor fuel pump

Also the trans seems a little off, Truck warms up for a while in the morning but, when I leave work it seems to hesitate (trans motor ? not sure) It also seems to shift up through the gears to fast compared to my buddy's
We changed the fliud which was real clean and adjusted the bands

Thank Harold

Quick Reply: small issues, I hope