Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help wanted... Truck too tall...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Ruffin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tech QnA... Truck too tall???

Hello everyone,
I’m new to the forum. I’d like to thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.
I’m a Marine currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan and I am due to rotate back to the state in a few months. I am the proud owner of an ’06 Dodge Mega Cab Dually which is currently in storage. Upon my return I will be looking to purchase a 40 foot fifth wheel, toy hauler, camper trailer.

The problem is, I’ve mod’ed the truck with a 6inch lift and 37 inch tires. The camper dealer said that, because of the fifth wheel hitch I will be restricted on height. Regardless of lift and tire size the maximum height I am not to exceed is 42 inches from the ground to the tailgate (as the tailgate is down).

First, I know, I know… I should have never lifted a dually. I was younger... I’ve come to the realization that I’m ‘probably’ going to have to pull the suspension and tires off. But I’m not quite ready to throw in the towel yet. I’m curious… Do any of you have lifted work rigs? And what are your setups and experiences?

Could you post some of your truck (duallies) heights for me ?
What are the measurements (ground to tailgate, lowered)
Stock height w/ stock tire size
Stock height w/ 33’s
Stock height w/ 35’s
And anything in between…

I am in the military so I’m on a budget, but I’m also curious if anyone has any ideas that I’m not thinking of that would allow me to keep the lift and pull a trailer.
A buddy of mine suggested lifting the trailer… But that’s got a long list of potential bad outcomes attached to it.
I think air bags are going to be out of my price range. What are your thoughts?
Thanks

Last edited by Ruffin; 04-03-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Arctodus
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy did a leaf over axle swap in his 40ft. Gear Box, he has a 6" lift on his truck and it worked perfectly. Best of all it only cost him the price of new leaf spring mounting plates. He has had this for 3 years now, this guy takes it everywhere with him when he hunts and has had no problems.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Ruffin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... Ya know, I actually thought about lifting the trailer but I was really afraid that I would be raising the center of gravity and making it too top heavy. Thanks for the info, I'll give it some thought.

Quick Reply: Help wanted... Truck too tall...