Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

HELP! ECM Replacement (2500 5.9L - yr 2000 - 104k mi)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 PM
DaGr8N8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! ECM Replacement (2500 5.9L - yr 2000 - 104k mi)

Hi I am new to this forum. I recently was given this truck, I love it (or loved it until it broke down). I have searched near and far for a post covering this issue but have came up empty handed.

A few weeks back it started to have trouble driving at high RPM and would shut down, so I replaced the fuel filter. Thinking that this was the problem, but no. After I followed the instructions on how to auto-purge the fuel lines and it did not help I had it towed to a mechanic.
Up to this point I could get the truck to turn over but it would not catch, I was thinking I had not purged the fuel lines properly.

After the shop looked at it they said that everything is fine, battery, fuel pump (10psi), fuel lines. They could get it started briefly but it would shut down after a short time due to, what they thought as the ECM over heating and a wire/diode/lead becoming disconnected. They were unable to commincuate with the ECM after it over but were when it was not overheating, thus unable to get an error code. Assuming that overheating is the issue.

The mechanic says that I need a new ECM, they only deal with new ECMs which will run me $1,195 for ECM + $50 labor + $90 reprogramming. I am a college student so this runs me kind of into a dilemma of the whole "money" issue. First off is this a fair price?
Can I do this at home? I would assume this be more of a "plug and play" device, due to the inexpensive labor cost. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but am by no means a mechanic. I do understand that I would need to have it reprogram by a shop.

Thank you! Any help is good help, Nate

Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM
DaGr8N8

Currently thinking of getting this http://www.autocomputerexchange.com/Product/543 ECM for like $590...

Old 04-14-2011, 08:14 PM
DaGr8N8

I have purchased the Haynes Repair Manual and all it says within it is that the "Engine Control Module (ECM) is a replaceable part" it goes on to state about how to replace each sensor from each error code but no where mentions actually how to replace the ECM.

Quick Reply: HELP! ECM Replacement (2500 5.9L - yr 2000 - 104k mi)