Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

WHAT happened? 03 5.9! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 01:39 PM
neattouch648
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT happened? 03 5.9! HELP

Okay, so I was driving along last week in my 2003 5.9 6spd dually having no trouble all of the sudden i heard a weird noise followed by clouds of white smoke coming from the exhaust....the noise as it turned out came from the turbo and everything was covered in oil...oil was dripping out of the exhaust. I took the intake tube off the turbo and sure enough the spool inside is completely loose...turbo ****ed....got on the internet, bought a new turbo, put it in and started the truck...it ran fine for a couple of seconds then cranked up to past red-line...i promptly turned the key off and it didn't turn off...took about 30 seconds to turn off. Its blowing coolant out the side from what looks like a freeze plug..

Obviously it sucked a bunch of oil through the intake and into the engine, but now my engine oil is milky too which means its mixed with coolant. Could it just be a blown head gasket caused from it burning oil for the 10 minutes that its run since it blew the turbo?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 05-06-2011, 11:27 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not too familiar with the turbo on your truck, but is it water cooled? If so, then it's possible that's your source of water in the oil, having been contaminated from the initial turbo failure.

If the intake had oil in it, you're going to need to pull all of your intake plumbing out and get it clean - intercooler, pipes, intake manifold, etc.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 PM
neattouch648
Professional

Well, i started taking the engine apart...I have a bent intake valve on Cylinder 1....missing chunks from cylinder 1...cylinders 2 - 5 are worn down and look like they're being eaten away...and cylinder 6 looks perfect! I guess i'll take the head to machine shop and see if it can be fixed, then pull the motor out of the truck and see what the bottom end looks like...actually do that first to see if its even worth rebuilding this motor or buying a new one...

anyone have any input? I'll get some pictures up tonight hopefully.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:19 PM
neattouch648
Professional

Well...just gonna part this whole truck out...the clutch is F*****, the transmission bellhousing has a big chunk missing...the head is messed up..needs a rebuild...haha

If y'all are interested in anything off the truck let me know its a 2003 3500 quad cab 2wd dually

Theres pics of what happened:

http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...0511110824.jpg

Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 PM
wantsalotta
Default No spark plugs

Your diesel just did what diesels do. It burned the fuel provided (oil). Being that it doesn't have spark plugs-shutting off the ignition does nothing to stop combustion, just stops adding fuel through the injectors, but all the oil in your intake allowed the motor to run away uncontrolled, exceed max rpms and eat itself alive. Major bummer, expensive lesson

Quick Reply: WHAT happened? 03 5.9! HELP