Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Diesel Conversion discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:13 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Conversion discussion

All right, y'all, here is the deal. I have a Ram 1500 with a 360 that has closer to 207,000 miles on it. I have been paying attention to these diesels, and I want one!! I want increased power and fuel mileage, and I pull things sometimes that a half ton really shouldn't pull. So, here are my options:

1. Sell the half ton, and buy a 2500. This option would be easiest. However, I estimate to only get around $2,000 for the one I have now, and a used, 2nd gen with a diesel runs $8,000 to $10,000 around here, meaning I would have to finance six to eight thousand dollars. I can buy alot of gas for that!!

2. Convert the one I have now. I have seen Cummins/Allison transmissions going for around $2,000 to $2,500 on eBay. Then, I imagine accessories like lift pumps, battery trays, vacuum pumps, and the like to rum around another $1,000. Still pretty hefty.

3. Buy a wrecked 2500 and either swap my body onto the truck, or that powertrain into mine. But this would require being VERY lucky, and I've watched Craigslist for a while now to no avail. I have no idea how to start finding them.

These are the only options I see. What do you all think? Thanks in advance!!

Quick Reply: Diesel Conversion discussion