Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

08 3500 Not Shifting to OD and downshifting at 30MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 PM
jermdog01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issues here

Truck (07 dually) was running fine with or without the trailer and on Saturday when I finished the job and loaded up hard shifts and will not get out of fourth, pull over and reset, clear code p0871, those are hit and miss. did anyone figure out what the problem is?????

Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Pagens05

05 dodge diesel 5.9 litre rebuilt tranny ever since it was put in it has had the downshift problem gets to a high rev let off the gas then finally shifts in to OD shop doesn't know problem any ideas????

Old 05-09-2014, 07:22 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grant9628
Hi legram I got the same truck and the same problems did u sort yours out? A lot of these issues sound like poor connections or bad earthing issues especially when it can be temporarily rectified by turning ignition off or removing battery terminals
I realize I'm a year late to the party...

These new transmissions are 100% electronic. They're not like the 727-based trannies with an electronic overdrive added. When you kill the power to the PCM, you're clearing the keep alive memory and then it has to see the fault again before going back into limp mode.

Originally Posted by Pagens05
05 dodge diesel 5.9 litre rebuilt tranny ever since it was put in it has had the downshift problem gets to a high rev let off the gas then finally shifts in to OD shop doesn't know problem any ideas????
Your tranny is going to be a 48re. I'd suspect the governor pressure sensor/solenoid. There is an upgrade available from Borg Warner.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:51 PM
08 Dodge Bonehead

I can see I am way behind everyone with this problem. I hope someone has found out what the problem may be.

I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 W/6.7 diesel 98k miles does first two hard shifts (it might do one I don’t feel) at 2500 RPM`S then does not shift into OD (70 mph @ 3000 RPM`s)

I turn on off the key problem goes away for 10 – 15 min then back. First thing in morning shifts fine until truck gets up to temp then starts problem.

The problem is still what I would call intermittent, I can go two days without a problem in city driving but any highway driving it is back within 30 min.

My codes are P0700 & P1507 I did a reset by taking off the negative cables for 30 mins and had no problems for 5 days with heavy freeway driving

With all of the problems I am reading about I am hesitant taking it into the dealer because of a large bill with no results.

Will driving it in limp mode damage the trans?
Where would I locate the trans controller?

I need to have trans serviced with hopes it will fix the problems.

Anyone have any other ideas I should have looked at that time so I may avoid more costly repairs?

I appreciate any suggestions, help or even good guesses that may save me from costly unnecessary repairs or things I can do to help.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:17 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need access to a decent scan tool that will talk to the tcm. On your truck the tcm is bolted to the firewall on the passenger's side. P0700 is the ECM code that means 'hey buddy, there are fault codes in the tcm, go check those out'.

Without knowing those additional codes, there is no way to help.

And as far as continuing to drive it goes, it can only get worse. You're already looking at a rebuild (my guess), the longer you keep driving it the more it is going to fail. If you're getting clutch material and steel particles in your fluid, then you run the risk of clogging filters, check valves, and even ruining your valve body.

If you can get access to a scan tool that will talk to your tcm, look at the live data and write down what all of your CVI values are.

Now the P1507 code is for a restricted crankcase breather filter. It is supposrd to be part of the 60k mile service, iirc. The CCV filter lives under the valve cover cover. They're not cheap if you buy from dodge. Genos garage sells them and you might be able to get them from your local cummins dealer as well.

Last edited by horatio102; 05-11-2014 at 03:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 08 3500 Not Shifting to OD and downshifting at 30MPH