Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Desperately need help from forum professionals

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Bticked
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperately need help from forum professionals

I read the directions I sure hope I posted this in the right section. I desperately need help with an issue. Heres the story.
I have an 05 cummins 2500. Airaid intake is all thats not stock besides tires and wheels. My stock lift pump went out this week. Its in the tank on this one. I ordered a Airdog raptor 100, went through all the installation until it got to the wiring. I didnt have any spare spots that had 12v in accessories in the top of the fuse box so I went underneath and started exploring. Found one spliced in the pump and nothing. Ok, checked the pump straight from the battery to make sure it works and it does. Hooked that wire back up to stock and tried to look for a different one. Pulled a big wire harness connector from bottom of fuse block to test for voltage. Tested it first and found 1 constant 12v. Turned key to on and found 1 that had 12v. Cut the wire and connected it to pump wire to see if this one works. Turned the key to on and it worked perfect. Ok I thought I would connect this together and the story would be over. Well I went to turn the key back to on and I got a strange knocking noise in my engine compartment but the pump was running. It scared me so I connected that wire back to stock with the pump out of it and turned the key to on and its still doing it. All my dash lights come on and flicker quickly off and on and the sound is like a starter trying to engage repeatedly. I traced it best I can but am failing. I thought I traced it to the heater but I pulled that and tested it with 12v and it works fine out of the truck but as far as I can tell its coming from that harness because starting at the heater I can take off those wires and turn the key to on and no problem. Something in the ignition? Has anyone had any experience with something like this? Please help anyone if you can. Thank you.

Ryan

Last edited by lxman1; 09-24-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Removed links that are not allowed
Old 09-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,

Time start fresh---go to Weedahoe's page and get the Factory Service Manual---its free, and it IS the bible to whats going on, in your truck.

My guess is that you are most likely dealing with a computer and possibly relay issue, but you really MUST track it down. Pulling all your stuff apart will only cause more problems and frustrsation-----All the wiring diagrams and diagnostics are in there

Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 PM
BadHazard
Professional

Un-install that wire and solder/twist/reconnect that wire you cut. It was probably one of your main harness. There are several other options.

Best way is to pull your fuse box, test the spare fuse holders and find one that is hot when the truck is on. Wire into there that is the best way to do it. If you google "install raptor wiring dodge cummins" there are several threads on it. I used to have a cummins and I know that you dont want to tap into the main harness. It makes things go fubar.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Welcome to the forum! Yup, you are in the right section... well kinda. Your 05 is 3rd gen but there is also another section dedicated for all the diesel trucks. If one of our admins or moderators don't move this thread there for you, maybe you can also post again in the Cummins section to get better help. When you talk about your diesel here you just make a lot of us jealous LOL.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-cummins-diesel-88/

Quick Reply: Desperately need help from forum professionals