Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Quiet performance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011 | 11:03 AM
Mr. Beefy
|
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet performance?

I'm new to the CTD world

I have a 07 6.7L CTD bone stock.

I love how quiet it is right now because I will be plowing with the truck. Customers don't care for loud trucks outside they're house at 4 a.m.

I know that if I hack the exhaust and put an intake off I'll gain some MPG anyone know of a system that will keep the noise down and still give me some performance increase?

Thanks guys

Old 09-13-2011 | 11:32 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father has the same truck (08 I think) without the DPF, but everything else (except the EGR) is there. His is a lot quieter than my 06 5.9.

Get yourself a programmer to overide the DPF/EGR crap, hack it out, and leave the stock muffler on.. if its too loud, budget maybe for a new muffler.

Old 10-04-2011 | 10:56 AM
Mr. Beefy
|
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will that get me the flow to get better MPG's?

Old 10-05-2011 | 10:31 AM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr. Beefy
Will that get me the flow to get better MPG's?
Don't bother with the stock muffler, it will still be restrictive. Just get a Hushpower muffler, they're not cheap but they are quiet and claim to flow better than a straight pipe (think scavanging effect). The 6.7s are quieter than 5.9s due to the VGT as well so you're in luck there. Though if you do get a tuner don't get too greedy on power and make sure the tuner also reprograms the transmission. The early 68RFEs were kinda weak and really needed some tuning updates to hold any power above stock. The stock internals also didn't seem to much care for more than 500rwhp (you'd be surprised how quickly you can get there with a common rail).

Also, if you do end up doing the deletes and adding a tuner I'd suggest adding an external wastegate to help keep drive pressures and EGTs down

Old 10-05-2011 | 01:15 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

I've been told that the 6.7's, when cleaned up (EGR, DPF, etc) get descent mileage. I haven't personally verified, but I've heard numbers into the low 20's. I do not know anyone with a MegaCab and a 6.7 that's been cleaned, but I'd have to think that it should get similar mileage to my truck, possibly better with the improved transmission.

Quick Reply: Quiet performance?