Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2007 3500 4x4 ...newbie needs advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 PM
jeff601
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2007 3500 4x4 ...newbie needs advice!!!

Hi all,

I have been wanting a good diesel truck for quite some time. I am looking at a newly traded in 07 3500 4x4 (Quad Cab, Single rear wheel) with the 6.7 and an auto tranny. It has 40k on the odometer and a goose neck hitch in the bed. The truck is pretty much loaded except for leather and the "starting" price is 29K. It is a one owner and is bone stock. My main concerns are that this was the first year for this motor and the fact that is an auto tranny (my dream truck is a 5.9CTD with a manual....good luck, right). The only mods I plan to do are bigger tires and maybe an aftermarket muffller, as it has the stockers on it right now and I plan to go no higher than 35's. I currently have a GMC 1500 with the 5.3...I love my truck but hate when pulling my camper I am @ 65 mph at the base of a hill and 35 mph at the top.

Now the questions:
1) what problems are common to this year set-up?
2) how many more MPG can I expect by adding a programmer..strictly for mpg and not HP as I don't wanna be "in" the tranny if I don't have to be.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 PM
brettj2408
Captain

Just be sure you can keep up with diesel maintnence you should be fine not many problems with the 6.7 besides egr, and particulate filter problems and its the new 68rfe tranny better than the 48re's front axle u joints and ball joints are also another weakness stock mpg anywhere from 10 to 15 and possibly 2 more or.so with a programmer

Old 12-01-2011, 08:43 PM
jeff-ab9uw

Just changing the muffler will do nothing for the sound on the 6.7's. It's a straight through muffler already. For sound you would need a programmer to remove the emissions stuff. The emissions stuff was the biggest problem with the 07, 08 6.7's. I think most of it has been worked thru, now, mostly with programming updates. I had no problems with my '08 3500 auto, but I removed the emissions stuff with less than 5000 miles on it.

The with early 6.7's, the guys that used them more as grocery getters, seemed to have more emission problems than the ones that used them as a truck. I didn't tow/haul a lot with mine, but my avg. trip was 45 miles to work daily.

Also, the trans is pretty good, but dodge didn't leave much room to grow as far as added power goes. Some will take a couple hundred extra hp and live a long time, others will live a short life with just 50 more. Some of it is in the driver and some is just the luck of the draw.

There are some decent 5.9's out there, I found 2 this summer but didn't have the $$ at the time. They were both about $30k, with under 40,000 miles. 1 auto, 1 6spd. I love my new truck, but I sometimes miss my old truck (an '06, 3500 6 spd manual).

jeff.

Quick Reply: 2007 3500 4x4 ...newbie needs advice!!!