Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2011 vs 2012 2500 What's the Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Tennman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 vs 2012 2500 What's the Difference?

I'm new to this forum and posted another location. Maybe I'm impatient or maybe I posted in the wrong place since I'm buying a diesel. I'm having a hard time finding out what got changed/improved for the 2012 year. I'll be buying a loaded Laramie 2500 4WD with the more powerful Cummins. I'm not even sure if the higher output Cummins is an option, but regardless I want it. The local dealer has found a 2011 at substantial savings that's pretty much what I want but if there are advantages to getting a 2012 I'll do that. I just can't seem to get much info from the RAM website describing what got changed. Thanks for the help. I'm presuming you guys like your Ram's. Big change for me leaving Ford, but I want to look at something different from my 2002 F250.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:36 PM
jeff-ab9uw

All auto's built after march or april have the HO motor. The later 2011's and all 2012's have the max-tow package available. The integrated brake controller was upgraded for 2012. The cruise controls were moved from a stalk on the back side of the steering wheel to on the front part of the wheel.

I have a late 2011 model HO Auto Laramie. 3500 dually. Many guys unfamiliar with the newer diesels are "disappointed" with some aspects.

1st. If your ford is a diesel, don't expect similar MPG's with the new truck. They take a while to break in, and emissions controls didn't do us any favors. You should "expect" ~12-13 city and ~15-16 highway empty and around 10-13 towing. If you get more...congratulations. Some guys are claiming 18+ (empty)with 2500's after they get some miles on them.

2nd. The newer diesel will probably feel a bit sluggish. The pedal might feel like it is kind of "disconnected". I attribute this to the programming dodge uses to a) meet emissions and b) protect the drive train from ~800 ft-lbs of torque. It will go, though if you push on it a bit.

3rd. Most of the issues with the emissions stuff has been taken care of. You are more likely to have an emission related problem than any other. And you are more likely to have emission related problems if the truck is driven more for short trips than if driven long enough to get thing well up to operating temp.

Jeff.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Tennman

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I've only driven one 2500 and it had the 650 torque engine. I'll admit being a little disappointed in the power, but then found out it wasn't the 800 torque engine. I've read about 6.7 issues I guess when it first came out related to emissions system problems. I guess I'll read some more. So far my parking lot research has not found any guys really hating on the engine or truck. Most love them. I work with a Dodge owner who has a programmer and he swears by it. I'll read here whether like the Superchips will help response or mileage. I've a lot to learn. I guess if you mess with urea injection you get better mileage but have to buy the additive. Could be a wash, but I do drive about 70-80 miles/day.

I need to drive one with the HO diesel. Thanks for replying. Haven't gotten much response from others.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:40 PM
jeff-ab9uw

Most guys with the 6.7's will go with either The H&S programmers or Mads Electronics Smarty programmer. As of right now, the only one of the two that will work on 2011.5 and up (HO motor) are the ones from H&S Performance.

These programmers allow increased hp, torque with the emissions equipment intact AND will also allow for removal of the emissions equipment without check engine lights. H&S also allows for optional transmission tuning.

If you choose to run any programmer on Cummins trucks, you should consider your power train warranty gone. The dealers will look for and find evidence of any programming done on the truck, and will normally use that to restrict warranty claims. They are very tough on performance parts with the diesels.

Having said that, I ran a programmer on all of my previous diesels, They do make a huge difference. I've got less than 5000 miles on the current truck, I'm struggling to keep it stock.

Jeff.

Quick Reply: 2011 vs 2012 2500 What's the Difference?