Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Impossible Front End on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:26 PM
dieseldaves
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impossible Front End on my truck

Hi Folks,

So I've had the usual Dodge alignment problems with my truck, no surprise. So, I did some replacing on the front end. Here is what I have replaced thus far:
  • Steering Gear
  • Pitman Arm
  • ALL Tie Rod Ends
  • Sway Bar Links and Bushings
  • Intermediate Steering Shaft
  • Track Bar
  • Steering Stabilizer

I have eliminated the steering wheel play, but the truck now eats tires in as little as 100 miles and is horrible to drive. After 3 different alignments, I have had NO success in getting a nice straight driving truck. It wanders left and right, responds horribly to crosswind, and eats the hell out of tires.

It also appears to have camber issues when looking at it while parked.

What is a good way to check ball joints, the tire shake method? They have no play whatsoever.

Do I have a bent axle? I know its possible, I've had some oh s**t moments where it surely could have sustained a bend.

Why is my track bar hitting my poor differential?

If any of you can help me out with suggestions, please do. If you need more pictures or information, let me know and it'll happen. I use this truck to work every day, and I need this resolved. Too much money and time has been spent already on it.

Thank You..........

Last edited by dieseldaves; 01-14-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 PM
FORANE
Amateur

Looks like you have the same problem I had...
Too much positive camber.
Look at your alignment spec sheet to confirm this by your actual numbers but I believe this is the problem.

Alignment shops will tell you these trucks have no adjustment for camber because they are LAZY.

Buy a couple offset ball joints like these:

http://www.prorydeliftkits.com/2003_..._p/44-2497.htm

Here's another thread about offset ball joints:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...s-t262514.html

Install the joints then realign the truck.

Last edited by FORANE; 01-16-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best way i have found to check the "king pin" ball joints is to grab the bottom of the tire when jacked up, i had the same issue with mine, always grabed the top and never had any play, one day grabbed the bottom and had over 1/2"... also for the bump steer or steering wandering, the caster angle is not set right, like stated above thats a lazy alignment operator, as far as the diff hitting the track bar, i will use my imagination and guess you have a lift or after market control arms? what happens is the lift control arms are longer and some one didnt take the time to install the longer bump stops, so with the longer control arms and the springs in the compressed position, the axle sits farther forward causing the contact, and could also be the cause of the caster/wandering issues

Old 01-24-2012, 01:33 PM
BadHazard
Professional

need new ball joints

/thread

Quick Reply: Impossible Front End on my truck